Mixed Plane Gruppe/Staffel in the LW - or any other air force

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

silence

Senior Airman
Nov 20, 2012
Yuba City, California
For most of its operational career JG 26 flew FW 190s in Gruppes I and II, while III operated mainly Bf 109s.

So we have mixed fighter types at the Geschwader level.

My question is: could a Gruppe operate mixed types, like Staffeln 1 2 using 190s and 3 using 109s?

Or even possibly mixed types within a squadron, like the pilots of 1 Staffel flying both 190s and 109s at the same time?

If a pilot really liked his ride, could he refuse to change? For example, say Pips Priller liked his 109F so much he decided to turn down or refuse the 190A. Could he continue to fly his 109 even though the unit had officially changed over to 190s?

I hope I'm making sense here!!

Don't know about the Luftwaffe, but the RAAF fielded several mixed squadrons during WWII. 24 sqn at Rabaul for example had a flight of Wirraways and a flight of Hudson bombers. 82 sqn was formed with both P-39's and P-40's. 1PRU/87 sqn was epuipped with F-4 lightnings, Mosquitoes, P-43's and Wirraways! the list goes on...

Silence, to answer your question: YES, the Germans had mixed units, as small as Staffel (squadrons) with mixed aircraft. It would be possible to find 3 or 4 different types of aircraft in a single ten-twenty aircraft unit.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back