Modelling for tabletop gaming

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WARSPITER

Master Sergeant
2,329
4,879
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Didn't really know where to put this so here we go.

Tabletop gaming can be very time consuming with models, figures and terrain taking more time to prepare for use than the
actual gaming.

The following are pics and some thoughts from our gaming group on different types of games and the effort required.

First we have Napoleonics. Figures, figures, cannon, more figures, cavalry and more figures. Getting up to 5,000 between us.

1771826350436.jpeg


Prussians vs French. A smaller game overall.

1771826400261.jpeg


Austrians vs French. A bigger game using 8 feet of the table. Maximum of the table is 14 feet by 6 feet. The 6 feet wide part is
due to physical limitations of players when reaching across.

1771826564479.jpeg


Another larger game.

1771826658091.jpeg


A wider view of a different medium size game showing how much room is needed. There are 1/76 to 1/72 scale figures as they are available in plastic which is cheaper than metal.

1771826807063.jpeg


Forward to WWII with a faster paced game. Torpedo boats, minesweepers, and some German R boats in this one. There are usually
a couple of merchant ships for one side to defend as well. Easier to get enough kit compared to Napoleon's. Easy to paint as well.
Quick play also with a game being over in one or two sessions.

1771827027621.jpeg


A 3D printed R boat (I think) before it got shot. Must be move one or two. Scale is around 1/1200th from memory.


Still with WWII is this Eastern front clash around the time of Kursk.

1771827131345.jpeg


Again, not a large game but so far it's enjoyable enough.

1771827222606.jpeg


Halftracks don't like close assaulting anti tank guns. Again 1/76 to 1/72. Predominantly plastic and there is quite lot of work to build units up
as there are multiple vehicles required and lots of figures to paint. Some of the WWII models are a couple of years off being fifty years old.
Not bad considering the lack of maintenance.

We have other types and periods we have played but I don't have pictures at the moment ;

WWII aircraft game with planes around 1/200th scale (probably smaller) - less painting and setup and easy to play.

Ancients - Heaps more figure painting with manoeuvre being important as once a melee is started it goes on until mincemeating occurs.

Napoleonic ships - Trafalgar and all that. We have made British, French and Spanish ships and some rules were drawn up. Not bad fun
at times with the wind direction being a pain in the proverbial at times. Scale for the models is 1/1200th so no figures to paint.

If anyone is interested I will get more pictures up as I go.

The main interest for me is the need to ensure reasonable presentation. Without it the whole thing doesn't have the right feel.
Fast painting techniques and a few cheats have helped for bulk modelling. This has helped with larger scales ands renewed interest
in aircraft kits.

Everyone in the group started with an aircraft. Mine was the 1960's Airfix spitfire (what a surprise). Most of the other members started
with Airfix as well so I blame Airfix for all this (hello, I am a modeller and I my gateway drug was Airfix....).
 
Nice collection. My screen name comes from collecting 28mm figures. I do mostly WW2 and 1020AD-1200AD.
I thought that's what the 28 was for. I have just printed a Stug III, Sherman and a jeep for a friend from free 3D models off the net.
I think he said it saved him around $100. The prints were about $2.50 all up. The 28mm size allows far more detail to be added than
1/72 even though that is supposed to be 25mm.

Post a couple of game pics if want to. I would like to see them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back