Modelling of flyable aircraft in IL-2 Sim

Discussion in 'IL-2 Sturmovik Pilot's Lounge' started by Guns'n'Props, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Guns'n'Props

Guns'n'Props Member

Bits, bytes and project deadlines
    I don't know whether this topic has been covered before and confess that I'm not that familiar yet with the sim. Yet I can't help ask how accurate are these aircraft modeled ? i.e. performance, ease of handling, stall characteristics etc

2. GrauGeist

GrauGeist Well-Known Member

Public Safety Automotive Technician
    Home Page:
    There has been considerable debate regarding the accuracy of various aircraft in the IL-2 series (pre-mod versions) and mostly about the Axis aircraft performance and some American aircraft performance modelling.

Oleg was always candid about his modelling, but was always adamant that there was the highest degree of accuracy.

I can't vouch for any of the "modded" aircraft or add-on aircraft for the post 1946 ( 4.08 ) release, as they are pretty much "third party" flight models, and I haven't "modded" my '46 so far.

Regarding the origninals, what I've done in the past, was to take an aircraft in IL-2 and run through a "trials" or a series of controlled conditions, and then compare it to a certified 1% aircraft from AVHistory in CFS3 under the same controlled conditions. I found that there were a number of differences in various aircraft tested. Some were very subtle, and some were real obvious.

What I've done, though...is learned how to work with the shortcomings of my aircraft I fly in IL-2... basically along the lines of "adapt or die" :lol:

3. wheelsup_cavu

wheelsup_cavu Well-Known Member

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Home Page:
    4.09 is an official patch sanctioned by Oleg.
    He had the final say on what was included in the patch.

Wheels

4. GrauGeist

GrauGeist Well-Known Member

Public Safety Automotive Technician
    Home Page:
    The 4.09 is an official patch, but there are still third party aircraft being offered now, so the FM's dynamics are anybody's guess as to how accurate they are. :|

5. wheelsup_cavu

wheelsup_cavu Well-Known Member

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Home Page:
    When it comes to the mods I will agree that you have a hit and miss situation.

With 4.09m Team Daidalos had to meet Oleg's approval so I don't see where the problem lies with that patch ?
    And any Team Daidalos patches/addons in the future, to my understanding, will still have to be approved by him.

Wheels