Molotow Liquid Chrome Markers And Paint

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
If you have not run into these markers please do yourself a favor and have a peek. Molotow has been around for 20 odd years and makes among other things an array of color liquid markers and maskers.

Their liquid chrome variant is a true wonder for model making. I have seen it used on exposed Oleo's for one thing and a few have used it as an NMF coat. The pens can be opened and the liquid poured straight into an airbrush. They are a synthetic lacquer based acrylic.

Using the marker itself tends to make a fairly thick coat, much better when brush painted or airbrushed.

They also market a 30ml refill bottle if you just want the paint.

Below is a video where the product is discussed and tested.

Only watched parts of the video - he waffles on too much to hold my attention - but interesting stuff, what I did see.
I don't think I'd want to use the stuff for a NMF, when there are now so many good products around, compared to even a few years ago. That AK Interactive metallic range is one I want to try soon.
I've been using a similar chrome pen for years, the current one having been in use for some 5 or 6 years, and bought at the local office supply store, and I use it for oleos, cable clamps, lamp reflectors and similar small fittings.
It's made by Mitsubishi Pencil Co., and called Uni Paint Marker, and described on the pen barrel as 'Oil based, Opaque', 'mark on any surface'.
They have a range of metallic colours, as well as 'solid' colours and a few fluorescents.
Some of the 'solid' colours can be useful for such things as window seals, or for fine lines where a brush and / or masking would be difficult to use.

Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 140.JPG

He does indeed waffle around. In a later video he too came to the conclusion it was not suitable as an NMF but works very well for the same things you mentioned. Apparently car kit builders do use it for bumpers and chromed wheels as well. I will have a look and see if I can find the brand you mentioned locally as an ready alternative. Molotow also makes a wide range of colors both solids and clears as well as a pen for masking fluid which is interesting.

Tamiya used to do a range of paint pens, aimed at the car modeller. Never used one, but from memory they weren't particularly fine point - probably for 1/20th scale and up to the big 1/12th scale cars.
Apart from the one I posted, there are a number of other well-known brands, some with very fine points - I think Rotaring do some, ready loaded, similar to, but not the same, as their re-fillable drafting pens.

I'm more in line with Terry, that big fat nib is no real improvement over a brush PLUS you've got the dry-out problem. I keep about six of the paint sticks like Terry's for very fine work but other than that I'll stick to my 000, 0000, and 00000 brushes

Ah but they come in various sizes, not just that large one. Plus most folks that use it, as well as other manufacturers paint markers, prefer to use the paint directly not via the pen. Which is my approach. Having seen the results up close and personal I would urge you to try it before you dismiss it. Not just me, a lot of old school modelers are treating this stuff as the marvel of the decade. It is well worth a try.

I use some Molotow pencils for quite a while now. The finest tipsize is 1mm. For me their use is limited to the bigger scales 1:35 / 1:32 (albeit I use them also for weathering H0 freight cars). The black colour pen is ideal for the WWI jig saw camouflage. I use two Brown colours for rust scratches and spots.
There is a kind of pump mechanism inside. You have to shake the pen a few times before use, and press it lightly on the surface for the paint starts flowing. After aprox. 2 1/2 years they still work without a flaw.
You can buy the tips separate (1 or 2mm). For me they work satisfactorily.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back