Monogram 1/48 Mosquito

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is the entire pic posted in the #9...

Mosquito 692 Sqn.jpg

The caption says "Line up of No.692 Sqdn Mosquitoes, MM150 could be third from left as this is the only four bladed Mossie the Squadron had"

the Source... Morgan

Last edited:
Yeah strange one really.

I'll speak to Alex the guy who is the web master for the site and see if he knows who/where the picture come from.

Just noticed that the very far mossie also has black spinners.

How much longer were the nacelles? There doesn't seam to be much between the two in this shot.

Cheers Chris

Maybe a black underside Jan?

Thanks Wojtec. Just to make this model a little more interesting I'm going to put motors in the props and display it in a diorama in flight.

It is possible Jan. I have enlarged the shot and I would say the camo was of black. But it may be the PRU Blue as well....

Last edited:
Now that I've seen the better print, I agree, it appears to have four-bladed props. And as a squadron member states the squadron had "only one with four blades", then I presume it must have been trialling the props, as I've never heard of, or seen, this before.
Unfortunately, the Mosquito Aircrew Association is now disbanded, as members are fading away with time, so I can't find out from that source.
Chris, the line up are all MkXVI's, but the engine nacelles were longer, deeper, and a totally different shape to those of the BIV/FBVI. You would either have to cut off and convert the nacelles on your existing model, or obtain the Airfix B.XVI/PRXVI kit, or the NF30 kit and add the nose from your Monogram model - but you'd still need the later, 'blown' bomber canopy, which was different to the B.IV, with 'bulged' sides instead of blisters, and slightly different internal frame work.
The Squadron was formed on 1st January, 1944, but operated from Gransden Lodge, as part of the Light Night Striking Force, so that far Mossie probably does have black sides and under surfaces - can't see any reason why a PRU aircraft would be in a squadron line-up from BC - and there was often a mix of colour variations.
I've found the same photo in one of my references so far, but haven't been able to discern anything not noticed to date.
As for the black spinners, it's more than likely they were supplied with the props, or were for identification to ground crew, when engines running, although black spinners were not uncommon.

Chris, the line up are all MkXVI's, but the engine nacelles were longer, deeper, and a totally different shape to those of the BIV/FBVI.

This is exactly that I suggested in my post #5 here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back