Monogram Hawker Typhoon

pinehilljoe

Staff Sergeant
984
1,130
Joined
May 1, 2016
Location
Northern Virginia, USA
My first attempt at RAF tactical camouflage. I love the old Monogram kits, you can count the parts on your fingers and toes.

It looks ok from 5 feet away.

As much as I like them, the 30+ year old decals are going to make me think twice about future purchases.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6901.jpeg
    IMG_6901.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6902.jpeg
    IMG_6902.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6903.jpeg
    IMG_6903.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
The majority of the paint is from the Vallejo RAF Day set, sprayed with an Iwata NEO. It's my first attempt at RAF tactical day camo. Next try I think I will scale up the paint scheme sheets to 1/48 and cut templates to follow with the airbrush. I have a group of Spitfires waiting. Next up is Tamiya's new A-34 Comet. One of my favorites. Tanks are a little easier to paint
 
Spitfire templates here

 
You did well. Don't forget the yellow tips on the prop blades next time ;)
Funny, the instructions and the box art didn't call for yellow tips. I bought the kit on eBay. It came with a brass etch cockpit detail package, which IMHO seems over kill when you can't see the results of your work. I have many old Monogram kits waiting to build.
 
I remember some Monogram decals of a certain vintage (1980s & 90s?) didn't react well with common decal application solvents. They particularly didn't like Micro Sol. They would often wrinkle up and be "unfixable."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back