Monstrous Aviation: World's Biggest Airplanes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A Conroy dream..."Colossal Guppy". Twelve engines and to be built from two B-52s, it was to have a 40ft diameter fuselage...

WTF for? The Super Guppy was already capable of carrying the most outsized cargo for the time. Looks like a pipe dream and nothing more.

Gotta admit it is intriguing though. Then again, look at some of the Russian monsters that came to being without a purpose. Complete waste of development resources and money.

It had to be a custom job connected to ferrying components for the space program.

I've actually seen two of the biggest, the Antonov was flown at Abbotsford Air show, and I saw the plane when it brought in a cargo load to Vancouver.

Also saw the "Peacemaker" last week at the SAC museum, that is one huge aircraft!!

It had to be a custom job connected to ferrying components for the space program.

That's what the SuperGuppy was for... the Saturn V program. Now perhaps the next step to Mars resulted in a Saturn V follow on, but all that was just a paper exercise. And certainly the any logistical planning was even less so.

Are we talking about the plane or Comios's sig both look like Guppies trouble was Widicome landing here. We had the Iron lady but she was the concrete cow.
Ive seen the Antonov when it flew in a 117 ton locomotive from Canada I thought it was a heavy old item to transport in one piece

Users who are viewing this thread

Back