More proof that the P-39 rules! 😂

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Orbital velocity, however, is about 17,000 MPH, with the lowest orbit being about 100 miles up. The parking orbit for the Apollo lunar missions, before setting off for the moon, were at 107 to 119 miles altitude..

OK, and ... ? The item under discussion is a piece of steel that supposedly got launched vertically upward by and explosion at 25,000 mph (escape velocity).

Not too sure why orbital velocity is relevant.

Since I can't seem to edit my post here is a link to the Firestone 500 recall

When I was in college, I had Firestone 500s on a Chevy Vega (mine was definitely NOT a bad car at all) and, after going through the mill of Firestone dealers, I've never bought another Firestone tire or anything else since then.

The really bad Firestone tires were the 721 series, that had the steel belting seperate from the casing.

My Texaco stopped selling Firestine and switched to Uniroyal and General.
Interesting. We didn't have Firestone in my part of Australia when steel belted radials first started to sell but we did have Uniroyal
and there were a lot of instances of belt separation with them early on. Some was due to the usual chinese whispers though and
they soon became standard.

My Firestone 500s had a tendency for the steel belts to cross over one another inside the tire, at least one per tire. It made the ride squirmy. Firestone gave me 3 ne sets and I then switched to other brands. There is a story behind that, but suffice to say the local Firestone store was NOT a well-run outfit. Could be just that store, but the experience with the 500s suggests otherwise.

Firestone (and that particu.ar store) may be a well-run outfit now, I can't say.

A word to the wise. When you have things done at a tore store, always check to see the lug nuts have been installed before driving away, even if you have to remove any hubcaps to do it.

When I was in college, I had Firestone 500s on a Chevy Vega (mine was definitely NOT a bad car at all) and, after going through the mill of Firestone dealers, I've never bought another Firestone tire or anything else since then.
Funny you should mention Firestone tire recalls from the 1970's. I bought a set of the 500's replacement the 721 Steel Belted radials for a very stock 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix, and had one of the belts separate after about 1000 miles. Took it back to the dealer I bought it from only to have the manager refuse to warranty it (2 year warranty at the time of purchase) because the 19 year old me had obviously "abused" the tire! After having my father's lawyer call to Firestone's corp office suddenly got me a replacement set of a different style tire.

I also have never bought a set of Firestone's again, and once when buying a new truck had the dealer swap the wheels & tires so I didn't have to have a set on my new truck!
About the Vega, if you owned a 75-77 Vega, most of the issues had been worked out by then, and if you lived in sunny California, the terminal Rust issues they still had would not be a large problem. I actually like driving my 77 Astre Formula, but the tired 2.5 Iron Duke has long been replaced by a Buick 215 Aluminum V8.

One of the problems with the early steel belted radials, was improper tire rotation.

The steel cord would become "programmed" when first installed and had to be rotated to a position that turned in the same direction, unlike bias-ply or polyester radials.
As a result, the tire rotating in the oposite direction would cause the steel belting to "crawl" and ultimately seperate from the casing either in one location (causing a bulge in the tread) or fail completely, causing the tread to come off in a spectacular failure while driving.

That issue has long since been fixed with better belting technology, but what a time to be alive during the Bias to Radial transition! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back