Mossie pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The prototype Mosquito NF Mark XV, MP469, the former pressurised Mosquito prototype, at Hatfield, Hertfordshire, after modification by the De Havilland Aircraft Company as a high-altitude night fighter by increasing the wingspan, and by fitting Rolls Royce Merlin 61 engines with four-bladed propellers. AI Mark VIII centimetric radar in a 'thimble' nose radome and a ventral gun pack housing four .303in machine guns were also added before the aircraft joined the High Altitude flight at Northolt, Middlesex for operational trials.
high-altitude-mosquito-595x448.jpg

Publicity shot, with a message to 'Adolf' chalked on the 4,000lb 'cookie' bomb, the nose radar and bombsight has been obliterated by a censor.
Mosquito-bomber-595x435.jpg

that in the second shot, there was no 'nose radar'.

At guess I'd say it's probably Oboe equipped. Sometimes all the censor did was draw attention to the fact that there was something 'special' about the aircraft compared to other ones, so the image warranted further scrutiny.

Sorry Aaron, Gavin may be of KA114, but the British Aerospace Mossie RR299 was around for a long time and I remember buying a few calenders from Flying Legends with her in it. I'd say that John Dibbs of the Plane Picture Company would be up there somewhere.

Guys, why don't we create a Member's Mossie Pics thread out of this, with cool pics we've taken ourselves as well?

Here's the First and the Last: The prototype, without a doubt the most significant surviving WW2 era aircraft, and the ultimate Mossie bomber variant, a B.35 both at the Mosquito Aircraft Museum in Hertfordshire.

W4050_zps386d793f.jpg

TA634_zps77a0339c.jpg

Salisbury Hall, Hertfordshire, where the Mossie was born.

SalisburyHall_zpsff59814a.jpg

The achingly beautiful D.H.88, which provided the Mossie's designers with much inspiration.

DH88Front_zpsb826feaf.jpg

Yes, please Terry, would love to see those. Was hoping you'd do that. I've got some of her at a few airshows, but close-ups would be great to see.

The wooden De Havilland Mosquito had been in action for some time in 1942. It was only revealed to the public after the raid on the Norway Gestapo HQ.
mosquito-poster.jpg

Last edited:
The caption posted reads ' ... nose radar and bomb sight obliterated by a censor'.
I'm guessing this is from a caption printed with the photo in a book, and was just pointing out, for the benefit of those who may not know, that bomber Mosquitos were not fitted with 'nose radar'.
No slight against you intended, but many books now publish incorrect, or downright wrong, information which, in the fullness of time, could, and in many cases will, alter the facts of history for future generations. It might seem a minor and pedantic point, but the more this happens, the more the problem is exacerbated, to the point that such important, literally World-changing events as WW2 could be viewed as a minor conflict by future generations.

Mosquitos are a wonderful kites. Here are some pictures.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Mosquito B.Mk.XVI.3.jpg
    Mosquito B.Mk.XVI.3.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Mosquito B.Mk.XVI.5.jpg
    Mosquito B.Mk.XVI.5.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Mosquito B.Mk.XXV.1.jpg
    Mosquito B.Mk.XXV.1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Mosquito PR.Mk.XVI.3.jpg
    Mosquito PR.Mk.XVI.3.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Mosquito PR.Mk.XVI.5.jpg
    Mosquito PR.Mk.XVI.5.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Mosquito PR.Mk.XVI.6.jpg
    Mosquito PR.Mk.XVI.6.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 129
In addition to the first picture, I called the other "Mosquito Goes to War".:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Mosquito.0.jpg
    Mosquito.0.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Mosquito.1.jpg
    Mosquito.1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 140
  • Mosquito.2.jpg
    Mosquito.2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Mosquito.3.jpg
    Mosquito.3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Mosquito.4.jpg
    Mosquito.4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Mosquito.5.jpg
    Mosquito.5.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Mosquito.9.jpg
    Mosquito.9.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Mosquito.10.jpg
    Mosquito.10.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Mosquito.23.jpg
    Mosquito.23.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Mosquito.24.jpg
    Mosquito.24.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Mosquito.25.jpg
    Mosquito.25.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Mosquito.26.jpg
    Mosquito.26.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Mosquito.28.jpg
    Mosquito.28.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Mosquito.39.jpg
    Mosquito.39.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Mosquito.40.jpg
    Mosquito.40.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Mosquito.42.jpg
    Mosquito.42.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 126
  • Mosquito.43.jpg
    Mosquito.43.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Mosquito.47.jpg
    Mosquito.47.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 142
Excellent set of pics. They were taken at Leavesden, near Watford, which is now the studios used for the 'James Bond 007' movies. I had the opportunity to stand in exactly the same spot where the fourth shot was taken, back in 1995, 50 years after the pic was taken. But the hangar was filled with Lada and Zil cars at the time, during the filming of 'Golden Eye' !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back