Most agile four engined aircraft ww2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"four props, sorry, He 177"!

Well, it can be ruled out simply because based on what Brown said it was a risky proposition to throw around in manoeuvres based on its overly sensitive elevator, which could if actuated too firmly overstress the airframe and cause massive structural failure, which did happen...

Well, it can be ruled out simply because based on what Brown said it was a risky proposition to throw around in manoeuvres based on its overly sensitive elevator, which could if actuated too firmly overstress the airframe and cause massive structural failure, which did happen...
That could have been fixed by altering the levers mechanism moving the elevator. That won't make the frame stronger but at least it would prevent structural damage due to pilot error. But I guess part of the reason the elevators were so sensible was to make pulling out from a dive easier, right?

That could have been fixed by altering the levers mechanism moving the elevator. That won't make the frame stronger but at least it would prevent structural damage due to pilot error. But I guess part of the reason the elevators were so sensible was to make pulling out from a dive easier, right?

That I can't say, it appears logical, but that would only work depending on the length of the torque tubes or cables or whatever the company used, and how much play can be tolerated within the system - you'd have to have an intimate knowledge of the aircraft control system and its tolerance range to be able to determine whether or not that was possible. The opposite could result where the elevators could then be balanced to acceptable levels in normal flight, but too heavy in a dive, which could mean that even excessive forces on the controls would not pull it out from the dive. There's always a trade-off with things like this.

The title is: "Most agile four engined aircraft ww2?"

Pretty sure the He177 had four engines...
We can't require a literacy or comprehension test, but sometimes think we should :)
Which were some of the most agile piston-powered four-engine, four-prop (sorry He 177) production aircraft of WW2?

We can't require a literacy or comprehension test, but sometimes think we should :)
We could also include a primer on how to construct a thread title that better covers the intent of the conversation, perhaps?

And to be truly technical, virtually all of the "four engined bombers" in this conversation actually have five engines. :thumbleft:

We could also include a primer on how to construct a thread title that better covers the intent of the conversation, perhaps?
Fair enough. But if we're neglecting comprehension (i.e. piston-powered, four engine, four-prop, series production) then we might as well throw in the Junkers Ju 287. Nothing else with four engines comes close.

AR-234C. Note that the version depicted has SIX engines.

AR-234C.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back