Most agile four engined aircraft ww2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The B-36 started out with the same number of engines as the B-70. 4 is the proper propulsive engine inventory for a bomber.
Then how do you end up with ten engines if 4 is the perfect number why did we bulid this thing anyways when we knew the B-47 was coming

I personally think the B-29 is a beautifully elegant machine, with that big rounded fin and its sweeping dorsal and those long high-aspect ratio wings. I'd love to see one flying in the flesh one day. I've crawled around a B-29 before, but not a flyer. It is so different in so many ways compared to the Lancaster, B-17, B-25 and so forth, in which I've done the same. It truly was a complete sea-change in big aircraft design.

Gosh, I never did like the look of the Boeing tail. But between its nose and streamlined turrets it still has a mien that says "stop me if you can."

If I ever get around to buying an Airstream trailer, I swear I will mount a dummy turret on top and paint on a star/bar insignia.

Then how do you end up with ten engines if 4 is the perfect number why did we bulid this thing anyways when we knew the B-47 was coming
The B-36 was conceived just about the time the U.S. entered WWII and so it was designed with the six piston engines - and that number came from the lesson learned from the B-19, which was close to the size of the B-36, but had four engines (it should have had six, to be honest).
The addition of the outboard jet pods allowed the B-36 to have a better take-off performance with a full (not max.) Bomb load of 72,000+ bomb load.

The 72,000 pound bombload was the equivalent of three and a half B-29 max. loads - and the B-36 could actually carry up to 86,000 pounds under certain conditions.

It was a beast - a gorgeous beast.

Best looking bomber contender?…

Attachments

• BFFE09CC-BBFD-4BE7-904A-2ADDEC3F2E00.png
    BFFE09CC-BBFD-4BE7-904A-2ADDEC3F2E00.png
    551.6 KB · Views: 34
Best looking bomber contender?…
True story.
While driving with my girlfriend a bunch of years ago, she asked sweetly: "What are you thinking about?".
"What would a B-17 look like with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines." I answered honestly.
When women say they want the truth, it's a lie.

Which is a shiney B-17G.

I've been aboard her for a flight as well as several photo shoots.

She's a pretty gal, but can't hold a candle to a B-29 or B-36 in the "Dayum!" category.
Still too many engines if your buliding a piston engined bomber you stop at 4 the only reason to go past that is if buliding something like a B-52 or B-70 or TU-95 or TU-160

Still too many engines if your buliding a piston engined bomber you stop at 4 the only reason to go past that is if buliding something like a B-52 or B-70 or TU-95 or TU-160
The B-36 is one of the largest piston powered aircraft in history.

It's wingspan was 230 feet, the B-52's wingspan is 160 feet.
The B-52 can carry 70,000 pounds of bombs, which is 2,000 pounds short of the B-36's average load.

The B-36 is one of the largest piston powered aircraft in history.

It's wingspan was 230 feet, the B-52's wingspan is 160 feet.
The B-52 can carry 70,000 pounds of bombs, which is 2,000 pounds short of the B-36's average load.
And ? the AN-225 is huge but you dont see it with 10 engines

And ? the AN-225 is huge but you dont see it with 10 engines
The B-52 has eight engines, the AN-225 has six.

The B-36 had six primary engines for flight. The outboard jet engines were only used on take-off for short runways or heavy loads.
Once airborne, the jets were shut down.

The USN's P2V Neptune had a similar set-up: "Two turning, Two burning".
In otherwords, the Neptune had two prop engines but had two outboard jets to assist it with takeoff or with heavy loads.

The B-52 has eight engines, the AN-225 has six.

The B-36 had six primary engines for flight. The outboard jet engines were only used on take-off for short runways or heavy loads.
Once airborne, the jets were shut down.

The USN's P2V Neptune had a similar set-up: "Two turning, Two burning".
In otherwords, the Neptune had two prop engines but had two outboard jets to assist it with takeoff or with heavy loads.
My point is im not calling a bomber with 10 engines cute id rather call the rybka twins cute

Excuse me ? how can you call the B-29 ugly she is the best looking piston engined bomber we have ever made .
No. It's not. B-17 could in in contention. The Lancaster, also. Not the B-29.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back