Most agile four engined aircraft ww2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Doubt that it was stressed for much G, which would restrict its manoeuvrability.
I suppose not. There were known cases of structural failure. This was no Boeing 707, where a civilian craft was built to military spec.

18152-0a745fa1da500aa616a0cb8a49f203c0.jpg

Plus the cockpit while comfy and modern doesn't appear to include shoulder belts, hindering our crew's chances of taking her inverted.

DaQFk_tWAAAkobA.jpg

More pics here De Havilland Albatross / D.H.91

28-4.jpg

Last edited:
The incident in the photo took place during landing trials at max TOGW (32,900 lb) - a condition under which many (most?) airframes, even those built to military standards, are not supposed to land except in emergencies. The airframe was the 2nd DH.91 prototype which was specifically slated for the tests, and the break-up occurred on the 3rd landing. The airframe was subsequently repaired/rebuilt - with appropriate strengthening - and went on to serve quite well. The production airframes all received the strengthening mods. There are many photos of large aircraft that had major structural failures when landing (and in the air), both civilian and military.

Last edited:
This is a good candidate for "most agile 4 engine aircraft."
View attachment 659885
It's minimum level flying speed of around 40mph would certainly mean a very small diameter turning circle. ;)

Ability to loop may be rather suspect :)
You know, you might have something there. Loop? Maybe in a head wind. Imagine trying to roll the Fleet Shadower. I've always liked its tiny Pobjoy engines.

It was one of two manufacturer's prototypes for the "Fleet Shadower". The two companies aircraft looked similar and I can't remember which this one is.

Airspeed AS.39, the other was the General Aircraft G.A.L.38
Not many military aircraft had the Pobjoy Niagara engines, so I looked it up! :p
Now you've got me thinking of the Short S.31. The half scale Stirling with four Pobjoys.

With all of 392 hp I can't see this being agile. But swap out the 98 hp Pobjoys with four 300 hp Bristol Neptunes and we have a contender.

Now you've got me thinking of the Short S.31. The half scale Stirling with four Pobjoys.

With all of 392 hp I can't see this being agile. But swap out the 98 hp Pobjoys with four 300 hp Bristol Neptunes and we have a contender.
Or Armstrong Siddeley Cheetahs at 350bhp. Or even Bristol Aquila's at 600 odd bop for a real performer at 2,400bhp……….

Airspeed AS.39, the other was the General Aircraft G.A.L.38

Not many military aircraft had the Pobjoy Niagara engines, so I looked it up! :p
I wonder if a credible fighter could be made powered by four Niagaras. Maybe in a twin nacelle, Push-pull configuration, like a four engined De Havilland DH-88 Comet. Or if we drop the four prop requirement, we could couple the four engines to turn two or even one prop.

Last edited:

I wonder if a credible fighter could be made powered by four Niagaras. Maybe in a twin nacelle, Push-pull configuration, like a four engined De Havilland DH-88 Comet. Or if we drop the four prop requirement, we could couple the four engines to turn two or even one prop.
Oh, how French of you. I thought you said you were of English ancestry and yet the French Canadians have influenced your aeronautical design ability.

Prowling on youtube this afternoon, came across this vid of the restoration of the Carswell B-36 (not the one I picnicked under, that was the Chanute airframe that's now in California.)

The State Dept (IIRC) shut down the project from ever flying again, classifying it as still Nuclear capable. I remember the work out at Great Southwest airport in late 69, but don't recall much about the actual build as AA also interferred when they took over Great Southwest for their HQ site as DFW completed.

The State Dept (IIRC) shut down the project from ever flying again, classifying it as still Nuclear capable. I remember the work out at Great Southwest airport in late 69, but don't recall much about the actual build as AA also interferred when they took over Great Southwest for their HQ site as DFW completed.
I grew up to the thunder of B-36 and C-124 and will never forget the sound or sight of six turning and four burning running up on the active. The last generation will never have a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back