Most "Bad Ass" looking Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would say the all time toughest of the war (for me) is the Beaufighter. Badass plane. And while it had it's limits, it certainly was useful.

Bristol_Beaufighter_AL-61A-7f5172dfb5b543f5b21ac8c8e0599d1c.jpg

For my money -- every square inch of sheet metal devoted to sliding through the air, every barrel devoted to spitting lead downrange --

jR4vkC44ktbB33xlLvTgrSH5SYeAYVDur7glWY66UAmw6PuxJv7UvgpdNc01fLXLtfTuvKQYYXrDYxzyQp_VxP4Df9xIX8rs.jpg

The Me-262 looks like a flying shark, and it don't get no more badass than that. It has a deadly elegance:

me_262_163_11_30%20(1).jpg

The Stuka looks like a vulture getting ready to pick your bones clean. We don't need no stinkin' aerodynamics!

StukaHeadOn.jpg

Of course, even vultures can retract their gear.

Most-badass-looking heavy bomber, the PB4Y-2 Privateer.
Though I'd prefer the twin tails of the common B-24 Liberator.
View attachment 582335

It's got a bathtub for every crew-member, that's how long the missions were!

Ok. The Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2 has been a popular thread. What about the most "bad ass" looking plane? You know, the one that looks like it means business just sitting there on the hardstand or grass field?

My vote is for the P-47 Thunderbolt or a Hawker Typhoon loaded up with bombs and rockets. What do you think? What others would you nominate?

Wind Swords
Kannon Stuka Ju87---meant business and delivered the goods on many a T34 and KV1, IS2's also...

For my money -- every square inch of sheet metal devoted to sliding through the air, every barrel devoted to spitting lead downrange --

View attachment 616650

The Me-262 looks like a flying shark, and it don't get no more badass than that. It has a deadly elegance:

View attachment 616651

The Stuka looks like a vulture getting ready to pick your bones clean. We don't need no stinkin' aerodynamics!

View attachment 616652

Of course, even vultures can retract their gear.

It's got a bathtub for every crew-member, that's how long the missions were!
Excellent choices...262 and Ju87....had a chance to sit in the pilot's seat of a Ju87D....I was very surprised by how large it actually was and how high above the wings the seating position was....the visibility was outstanding all around.....

Excellent choices...262 and Ju87....had a chance to sit in the pilot's seat of a Ju87D....I was very surprised by how large it actually was and how high above the wings the seating position was....the visibility was outstanding all around.....

I can only imagine, never sat in that seat myself but from pics it looks like one hell of a perch.

What Ju 87D was this?

There are only two surviving intact Stukas in the world. One in London, and one in Chicago (I have seen both). A third is being restored to flying condition at the moment.

The one in London is a G-2 (although it may have originally been a D-5 and converted to a G-2 during the war. The one in Chicago is an R-2.

My choice - the A-20. Out in the pacific, down low in the weeds.

More information and photos:
The crash sequence of a U.S. Army Air Force Douglas A-20G-25 Havoc (s/n 43-9432) during an attack on Kokas, Papua New Guinea, on 22 July 1944.
Twelve A-20s from the 387th Bombardment Squadron, 312th Bombardment Group, attacked the Japanese barge depot and seaplane station at Kokas. 43-9432 (tail code "V") was part of the last flight over the target.
This section was led by Captain Jack W. Klein (taking the photos), followed by 2nd Lt. Melvin H. Kapson (the other aircraft visible) and 1st Lt. James L. Knarr.
Approaching from the inland side, they dropped 115 kg bombs which can be seen exploding in the background.
Knarr's aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire and crashed into the bay, exploding when it the sea.
He and his gunner, SSgt Charles G. Reichley, were killed.

A-20G_shot_down_at_Kokas_(Papua)_July_1944.jpg

I think that planes with air cooled engines look somehow more 'menacing' (badass :p ) than planes with in-line engines: that big gaping hole on the front looks like a large mouth ready to devour everything in its path!

If I had to pick a plane that look 'badass' that would be the kawanishi N1K2, followed by the FW-190. I never really liked prop driven UK/US airplanes as far as 'looks' are concerned, though I do like vintage US jets up to the late '50s

Tiger Moth bomber. It's the brave souls on board who are bad ass. BBC - WW2 People's War - Banquet Lights - 'Tiger Moth Bombers'

"By June 1940...desperate measures were required to fend off an invasion of Britain. This became so serious that it was decided to fit bomb racks (8 x 20 lb bombs) to De Havilland 'Tiger Moth' training aircraft and an operation, code name 'Banquet Lights', Tiger Moths would bomb the invading troops."

1434585207750.jpg

From what I've heard, the Tiger Moth could have its issues on landing, where it could have a surprisingly hard pucker factor.

What Ju 87D was this?

There are only two surviving intact Stukas in the world. One in London, and one in Chicago (I have seen both). A third is being restored to flying condition at the moment.

The one in London is a G-2 (although it may have originally been a D-5 and converted to a G-2 during the war. The one in Chicago is an R-2.

Funny, I saw Chicago Stuka in the late 70's, standing on its gear, and painted a dark grey green IIRC. I like the current paint scheme better.

When I saw the Chicago Ju 87, it was hanging from the ceiling, right next to a Boeing 727-100 that was ALSO hanging from the ceiling. The Ju 87 was impressive, but hanging a B-727 fropm the ceiling was almost as impressive, from a structural standpoint. At the time, I was studying to be an engineer and was VERY surprised to see the hangling B-727.

When I saw the Chicago Ju 87, it was hanging from the ceiling, right next to a Boeing 727-100 that was ALSO hanging from the ceiling. The Ju 87 was impressive, but hanging a B-727 fropm the ceiling was almost as impressive, from a structural standpoint. At the time, I was studying to be an engineer and was VERY surprised to see the hangling B-727.
Sword of Damocles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back