Most beautiful fighter, bomber, and any kind of airplanes!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Spicemart,

Unless I remember incorrectly, the YF-23 met the specifications and the YF-22 didn't. When the YF-22 didn't, they lowered the spec so it could compete. That's a GREAT indication that the "fix" is in, isn't it? Once they lowered the spec for stealth, I knew the YF-23 was doomed. There was NO reason to lower the spec otherwise. Had Northrop-Grumman been given the chance to "de-stealth" their entry and then resubmit (for possibly better airframe performance and easier maintainability), I'd have been optimistic about a more fair outcome. When that didn't happen, I knew the contest was over.

Bugatti 100P
7ea72e794f3a9508bb9f073806e088b7.png

Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7e/a7/2e/7ea72e794f3a9508bb9f073806e088b7.png

Well gentlemen, while I could have scrolled on all the way down, I'll take a stab in the dark and say that there are few, if any, civilian aircraft mentioned, because yes, it is very true, that there have been, and still are beautiful military aircraft.

However, there are two aircraft, both of them having been designed and built during the 1930s, and both of them German, which are, to me, the most beautiful of aircraft.

One of them is the Darmstadt D22, the other the DFS 40.

The Darmstadt was a pretty little biplane with fully cantilevered wings(no struts, save for the cabane struts):
Darmstadt_D-22_3-view_L%27Aerophile_Salon_1932.jpg

The DFS 40, was an experimental flying wing designed by Alexander Lippisch:

lippisch_dfs_40_delta_v_schematic.gif

Guys, to me, these flying machines are drop dead gorgeous.

Yes, I did, after all, scroll on down, and yes, there are some gorgeous military flying machines, all of which I'm familiar with to varying degrees, and few civilians,, likewise I am familiar with to varying degrees, and, as this thread didn't specify military, I threw my hat in with the two I mentioned, as they were purely civilian flying machines. However, lest anyone think of me as being prejudiced for non-martial flying machines, I'll add a couple more, ones with a more militant role in mind, namely the XP-67, and the HE 119, both of which, as fighting craft, or at least potential fighting craft, are, to me, also drop dead gorgeous.

Hell, pretty much every flying machine designed by the Gunter Brothers were gorgeous(a lot of Heinkels there, the most famous being the HE 111, with those graceful elliptical wings, but the HE 119 was the best expression of that design philosophy).

Well gentlemen, while I could have scrolled on all the way down, I'll take a stab in the dark and say that there are few, if any, civilian aircraft mentioned, because yes, it is very true, that there have been, and still are beautiful military aircraft.

However, there are two aircraft, both of them having been designed and built during the 1930s, and both of them German, which are, to me, the most beautiful of aircraft.

One of them is the Darmstadt D22, the other the DFS 40.

The Darmstadt was a pretty little biplane with fully cantilevered wings(no struts, save for the cabane struts):
View attachment 503531

The DFS 40, was an experimental flying wing designed by Alexander Lippisch:

View attachment 503532

Guys, to me, these flying machines are drop dead gorgeous.
They either ended up as military aircraft or opened the doorway to further development of a certain concept.

I'd be biased, but the most beautiful plane I ever flew was the 747-8 Freighter with the short hump. Even more svelt and elegant than the 747-400. Still a good flier! Then there is the "mother" of the 787, the Dreamlifter... Everyone has to love a mother.
747-8_MG_4646.jpg

Last edited:
This is a tough choice. So many good possibilities. For modern aircraft I'd go with th F15 and for ww2 era the Spitfire.

Hey Spicemart,

Unless I remember incorrectly, the YF-23 met the specifications and the YF-22 didn't. When the YF-22 didn't, they lowered the spec so it could compete. That's a GREAT indication that the "fix" is in, isn't it? Once they lowered the spec for stealth, I knew the YF-23 was doomed. There was NO reason to lower the spec otherwise. Had Northrop-Grumman been given the chance to "de-stealth" their entry and then resubmit (for possibly better airframe performance and easier maintainability), I'd have been optimistic about a more fair outcome. When that didn't happen, I knew the contest was over.

Just saw your post. Haven't noticed it before.

I didn't know about that change of specs. Pity. You know for what reasons did Lockheed-Martin got the preference?

Last edited:
The B-24 Liberator is the coolest looking heavy bomber. The Davis wing gives it a grace and futuristic look. The fuselage gives an unusual contrast and I love the shape of the twintails. The front turret makes the forward end look a bit like a dog snout. The design is not too angular while having subtle, not too pronounced curves giving it a smoothness.
1551962856136.png

Last edited:
The Elegance of the Inline Engine Italian Fighters is Unquestioned, the Macchi's, the Fiat G.55 and the Reggiane Re.2005.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back