Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some of the other pervasive myths about the Corsair were the British clipped the wings 8 inches to solve the sink rate - the 8 inch wing reduction was to allow it to fit in the carrier's hangar, the sink rate was a by product.

The stiff Oleo was a problem that Vought was aware of and the issue was resolved by VF-17 and Vought's engineer Jack Hospers, who changed the air-oil ratio.
The stall strip was also a result of teamwork between VF-17 and Jack Hospers.

The F4U-A1 was a result of VF-17 (and Hosper's) efforts.

Pilots had been using a curved approach to an airfield since WW1.
I know the standard "enter the pattern, downwind leg, base leg, and final approach" used at general aviation airports, and I used to own a house where I could sit in the back yard, look straight up, and watch the Cessnas and others make the turn from downwind to base leg for the nearby GA field. So what did the British contribute (or not contribute) to Corsair carrier approaches?

I know the standard "enter the pattern, downwind leg, base leg, and final approach" used at general aviation airports, and I used to own a house where I could sit in the back yard, look straight up, and watch the Cessnas and others make the turn from downwind to base leg for the nearby GA field. So what did the British contribute (or not contribute) to Corsair carrier approaches?
As I understand it, in the Corsair the approach was at just above deck height, this kept the "bat man in view and minimised bounce, but I dont see how such a thing could be "patented" it is the logical thing to do.

Tom Blackburn was CO of VF-17, the original fighter squadron assigned to CV 17, Bunker Hill. Equipped with F4U-1s during the shakedown cruise of Bunker Hill, they worked out the necessary procedures for operating F4Us from a carrier. As mentioned above, recommendations by Blackburn and others involved in the trials were incorporated into the F4U-1A. VF-17 recieved F4U-1As prior to Bunker Hill's departure for duty in the Pacific, but the squadron was beached at Pearl Harbor in favor of standardizing carrier-borne squadrons with F6Fs. VF-17 operated from shore in the Solomons late '43 to early '44.

Tom Blackburn was CO of VF-17, the original fighter squadron assigned to CV 17, Bunker Hill. Equipped with F4U-1s during the shakedown cruise of Bunker Hill, they worked out the necessary procedures for operating F4Us from a carrier. As mentioned above, recommendations by Blackburn and others involved in the trials were incorporated into the F4U-1A. VF-17 recieved F4U-1As prior to Bunker Hill's departure for duty in the Pacific, but the squadron was beached at Pearl Harbor in favor of standardizing carrier-borne squadrons with F6Fs. VF-17 operated from shore in the Solomons late '43 to early '44.
And it seems he (Blackburn) was rather disappointed when VF-17 was assigned as a shore based unit

Here is an article, at the Smithsonian web site, that says pretty much the same thing I've read in other places. They talk about the oleos and the stall strip being fixed by Americans, but still credit the British with changing the landing approach. If it's a myth, why is it so durable?

Here is an article, at the Smithsonian web site, that says pretty much the same thing I've read in other places. They talk about the oleos and the stall strip being fixed by Americans, but still credit the British with changing the landing approach. If it's a myth, why is it so durable?

Because sources like this keep repeating it.

If the British FAA never adopted the Corsair they still would have had the Hellcat which was able to deliver the same capabilities as the former.

The FAA had both. With a few exceptions, such as the Chesapeake (SB2U), it wholeheartedly welcomed the US carrier types with open arms, especially combat aircraft. Not only were they well built for the job, they were available in numbers. The Avenger, Wildcat, Hellcat and Corsair saw extensive use in FAA squadrons on British carriers.

This myth is well busted in the book "The Jolly Rogers" by Tom Blackburn. Written by the CO of VF-17, the source doesn't get any better!

Now, we've mentioned this before, guys, this continuous dispelling of long held myths with factual evidence has to stop...

Seriously though, I'm surprised how long-legged this one has gotten.

The FAA had both. With a few exceptions, such as the Chesapeake (SB2U), it wholeheartedly welcomed the US carrier types with open arms, especially combat aircraft. Not only were they well built for the job, they were available in numbers. The Avenger, Wildcat, Hellcat and Corsair saw extensive use in FAA squadrons on British carriers.

I've always thought it remarkable how adaptable the RN was, with carrier ops, in working with American types, what with the different kit and specs that that implies.

I've always thought it remarkable how adaptable the RN was,

Say what you will about the British, but they are masters of getting the best out of the equipment they have, mediocre or otherwise. That doesn't mean they'll accept any old junk, but when forced to use indifferent types, such as the Skua and Fulmar, they still managed to sink major naval assets and produce fighter aces flying against superior types.

The US stuff was a godsend to the FAA, not just because of its quality, which was exemplary (you should read just how glowingly Eric Brown speaks about these aircraft, with the exception of the Corsair), but they were able to be delivered and pressed into service very quickly. This was, of course because of the poor state of the FAA before WW2 broke out, which meant that anything that proved to be good was pushed onto the field and thrown at the enemy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back