Most Pilot friendly fighter? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did anyone bring up the A6M Zero? Wide landing gear, light on the controls, not too much torque, good visability.

I speaking in terms of where the CG is in relationship to the MLG - the further aft, the less aft fulcrum between the mains, CG and tailwheel...
the CG on the 109 is right at the at Landing gear joins the wing and the Spit CG is about halfway on the front fuselage tank . Eyeballing it makes the spit about 6"aft of the undercart . and for FYI the wheels are toed out on all tail draggers to prevent groundloops

the CG on the 109 is right at the at Landing gear joins the wing and the Spit CG is about halfway on the front fuselage tank . Eyeballing it makes the spit about 6"aft of the undercart . and for FYI the wheels are toed out on all tail draggers to prevent groundloops
Theoretically that would actually make the 109 easier to handle on the ground but you now would have to consider the height of the the MLG. The toe out on all aircraft isn't necessarily correct - some have the wheels straight and I think gear height, wheel base and of course torque would also determine if there is any toe out configuration.

I don't know the physics of why they are toed out but 3 different people have tried explaining it to me but I got to see it on a napkin to understand . But the gist of it is that in X-wind landing it allows for ...... and thats as far as i go:oops:

Interesting contrast I'm trying to show the weight distribution and under carriage\
Also note the comparitaive ease of access on the 109

Attachments

• IMG_0060_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0060_1_1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1117_1_1.JPG
    IMG_1117_1_1.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Back