Most 'Underrated' Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As much overrated problem, especially for short-range aircraft. Just look at the succesful Il-2 Sturmovik and Typhoon which had inline engines.

Kris

I agree that is why I said the DB 601 would have been a fine engine for the aircraft. The cooling system still could have been a problem but look at all the other inline engine aircraft, they still did fine.

Hello Parmigiano
I must disagree with You. Il-2 was a good ground attack plane but most text I have read IMHO tended to overrate rather than underrate it. So I would not say that it was the most underrated a/c. On Yak-9, it seems that during summer 44 Finnish AF Bf 109G-2s/-6s got something like 10:1 kill ratio against them when Finnish Bf 109Gs kill ratio against La-5F/La-5FNs was c. 6:1. These kill rations are based on current research not on wartime claims. So it seems that at least against Finns the SU La-5 units were more effective than Yak-9 units.

Juha

The C-46 had several outstanding qualities, dual troop doors for parachute drops, heavier lift capacity than a C-47, etc, but it was easy to flame, too, and caught fire way too often. They were only used on one combat drop, over the Rhine, IIRC, where they got torn up pretty badly.
I think they were at their best flying the Hump.........

Two American fighters that "held the line" until more advanced types became available...

The F4F Wildcat and the P-40 Warhawk...

Especially against the Japanese.

Here's another viewer who thinks the Curtiss P-40 was wildly underrated. Almost every account of the AVG Flying Tigers claims that their planes were "obsolete" or "worn-out" or generally inferior (most often to the Zero, which the AVG never met and their 14th Air Force successors rarely did).

Obsolescent they might have been, but they weren't worn-out when the AVG entered combat in December 1941, and they whupped the Nakajima Ki-27 and Ki-43 almost every time they met. This was true both of the original P-40B types and even more of the replacement P-40Es that came in the spring of 1942.

Like the Buffalo, the P-40 got a bad rap because most of the Allied pilots who flew the plane in its early combats were outmatched by their opponents, who were generally better fliers and combat-experienced to boot. That the AVGs (in the case of the P-40) and the Finns (in the case of the Buffalo) were able to work wonders with these planes shows that they weren't as bad or outmoded as generally assumed.

I'd nominate the Bristol Beaufighter for this award- was a night fighter and strike aircraft par excellence. Unfortunatly it was overshadowed by the Mosquito in the ETO but came into it's ideal role in the CBI and MTO theatre as a free ranging attacker, blasting anything in it's path.

T-6 Texan
Fairey Swordfish
Ju-52/3
Catalina
Polikarpov I-16
Would also go for the Curtiss Helldiver SB2C but maybe going too far.

If you ever see a 'Top Ten' list of WW2 aircraft...when do you ever see the Texan in the poll?

IMHO the Catalina was the most underated.

Well that is because the Texan was a trainer. Great plane but fighters and bombers get the lime light.

I dont think the Catalina was ever considered underated. She was not even the best performing sea plane out there but she was allways considered great at what she did.

I agree, the Cat is always well talked about and kept the funds away from the better designs for the USN. Underrated, The Coronado, the big Concolidated Seaplane that was a life saving air ambulance. 2: Ju-52 it did everything you could ever think about and then some. BV-138: mines, shipping, S&R and could cary 10 men with all there gear without taking out any of the normal stuff. WElligton. :)

Hmm the 3 that I think are the most underated are the Bf 109, Buffalo and Hurricane.

Interesting, Chris. I know my father had great respect for the 109, more than the Fw190 from 15,000 feet and down...he always felt he could out turn it at speed and altitude but felt nearly equal in all others and superior in steep climbing turn to right - I know a lot of Mustang and Thunderbolt and LIghtning drivers that feel the same way.. I wonder who else feels that the 109 was underrated?

I might nominate the P-63 and the La7 and Yak9 because you a.) Don't hear about them and b.) they were excellent a/c The He 177 when it was performing after solving the engine fire issue was another one whose prior reputation hurt it.

The reason I believe the 109 is underated is because everyone automatically assumes it was completely outclassed by the allied aircraft. Granted these are mostly the very biased people toward allied aircraft.

The reason I believe the 109 is underated is because everyone automatically assumes it was completely outclassed by the allied aircraft. Granted these are mostly the very biased people toward allied aircraft.

Being biased toward Allied aircraft doesn't automatically award the mantle of 'expert'.

I have review virtually ALL the 355th FG encounter REports and Marcs. More were lost to 109s (FAR and away) than Fw190 or Fw190D's. I would say most 355 aces found the Fw190 to be easier prey above 15,000 feet - all relative because of pilot quality.

The only fighter that 'got away' from my father once he engaged was a 109 (although cut down by his wingman who cut inside the lufberry).

I tend to think the Italian Fighters were more 'underrated' - as well as late model JAF a/c like the Shiden

The German under rated the Hurricane very much and even called it names!

But who had the last laugh there though.

I think the Bf 109 was OK but was showing its age by the end. But the Emils and Fredrichs were top of the class. I have not read a British test pilot report who liked it. They loved the 190 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back