Much increased co-operation within Axis countries in technical and tactical matters?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Empire: We want to conquer your country.
Native: What happens if we say no?
Empire: You have chosen poorly.

Empire: We want to conquer your country.
Native: What happens if we say no?
Empire: You have chosen poorly.
Afghanistan would like a word.

800px-The_Last_Stand%2C_by_William_Barnes_Wollen_%281898%29.jpg

1842 retreat from Kabul - Wikipedia
Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan - Wikipedia
Withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan - Wikipedia
French combat troops withdraw from Afghan war
Canadian troops to begin withdrawal from Afghanistan next month

The foreigners kept coming, but the locals, be them BarakzaI, Mujahideen, Taliban, etc. always remained on the field as the foreigners fled. Why Bush Jr. and friends thought their attempt was going to be any different than Elphinstone's is pure hubris.

Last edited:
Afghanistan would like a word.

View attachment 624182

1842 retreat from Kabul - Wikipedia
Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan - Wikipedia
Withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan - Wikipedia
French combat troops withdraw from Afghan war
Canadian troops to begin withdrawal from Afghanistan next month

The foreigners kept coming, but the locals, be them BarakzaI, Mujahideen, Taliban, etc. always remained on the field as the foreigners fled. Why Bush Jr. and friends thought their attempt was going to be any different than Elphinstone's is pure hubris.
The US hasn't left Afghanistan, they conducted a draw-down, as the bulk of US and Allied armed forces were no longer needed since the restored Afghan Government and Military has stabilized.

On the list of invaders, however, the Mongols, Persians, Mughals and Sikhs need to be added.

Unlike all the other invasions, the U.S. led coalition wasn't there to conquer and occupy, but clean the place up and go home.
And try to impose a western culture of human rights onto an age old indigenous warrior society of tribal loyalty and feudal rule much more compatible with the harsher aspects of Islam than with western egalitarianism. Recipe for failure.

And try to impose a western culture of human rights onto an age old indigenous warrior society of tribal loyalty and feudal rule much more compatible with the harsher aspects of Islam than with western egalitarianism. Recipe for failure.
Afghanistan was very western before the Soviets tried to turn it into a client state.

There were quite a few nations that were progressively western until the rise of religious extremism - but when a woman's wrist is momentarily exposed reaching for a taxi doorhandle, and is immediately drug off to the nearby soccer stadium and executed, something is terribly wrong.

Interesting bit of info:

Before the Taliban took over, Afghanistan was the worlds largest supplier of illegal opium/heroine. Then the Taliban took over and the Afghani opium/heroine drug trade dropped to ~3% of what it was before. Then the US invaded, and within 2 years the DEA announced that Afghanistan was again the largest supplier of illegal opium/heroine in the world (the warlords said yeehah and got back to business). Recently the US was complaining that the Taliban are using the illegal opium/heroine drug trade to finance their resistance. (Mind you, 95% or more of the poppy growing is still under the auspices of the warlords.)

The urban elites, yes, but everywhere else, not so much. And western powers, primarily the US, exploiting the mujahedeen to fight the Soviets on our behalf, then dropping them like a hot potato had a lot to do with fueling that religious extremism.

I'm not so sure I'd blame Muslim extremism on American fickleness. Not to say that we haven't been very transactional in the region -- and that such fickleness has made us enemies -- but I think it's important to bear in mind that much of their extremism is driven by their internecine fights, among other factors.

I do agree that that fickleness of ours has fueled distrust and even hatred of us. I think that's a separate phenomenon from extremism, though. I don't think their hatred of us is entirely, or even mostly, religious.

I'd really like to read Artesh's opinions on this. How do I ping someone to a conversation?

I just sent him a PM linking to this convo and asking his comment. Hopefully he has the time and inclination to do so. I figured it makes sense to just keep it here, m'self.
I've found private conversations an excellent way to discuss differences of opinion or misunderstandings without "airing the dirty laundry" in public and inhibiting people's expression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back