Much increased co-operation within Axis countries in technical and tactical matters?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As a full fledged member of Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, did they have a choice?

It's hard to say how much latitude they had. I do know they had deep resentments against both the British and French, pressing them from both sides. I'd imagine that having IJA troops on their soil would affect their decisionin' too ... but there was a lot of resentment against Westerners in SEA at that time, and later, as we Americans learned too.

The Thais didn't do much actual fighting, which might represent their outlook better than any other factoid.

As it been agreed that Thailand was
A) Free and easy
B) Under Japanese occupation
C) Japanese puppet

Cos my hypothesis would either stand or fall that Japan didn't transfer any high tech stuff unless they were under control.

As it been agreed that Thailand was
A) Free and easy
B) Under Japanese occupation
C) Japanese puppet

Cos my hypothesis would either stand or fall that Japan didn't transfer any high tech stuff unless they were under control.

Many years (decades) ago I dated an Eurasian girl. Her father as a teenager had been apprenticed by the Japanese in occupied Malaya as a locomotive engineer. He said some point he was sent to japan for training for a year before being being returned. He said he was very well treated and enjoyed his time there. He also lived through the famines there latter in the war,

It's clear the Japanese were trying to develop the countries they had occupied and I doubt it was just for their war effort. It would be interesting to study what their plans were for these nations had they been victorious.

Many years (decades) ago I dated an Eurasian girl. Her father as a teenager had been apprenticed by the Japanese in occupied Malaya as a locomotive engineer. He said some point he was sent to japan for training for a year before being being returned. He said he was very well treated and enjoyed his time there. He also lived through the famines there latter in the war,

It's clear the Japanese were trying to develop the countries they had occupied and I doubt it was just for their war effort. It would be interesting to study what their plans were for these nations had they been victorious.

I think we have a clue in Korea and Manchuria. It wouldn't have been good.

Odd fact that Mussolini started the first gay community in Europe.

He rounded up homosexuals and placed them on some Mediterranean island somewhere. Because they were already been punished they could live openly as homosexual.

Mussolini did not do this deliberately.

A resource-starved island nation trying to sustain major power ambitions quickly discovers that simply seizing natural resources isn't enough: extractive industries and transport networks have to be developed. The aims of "brotherhood of Asian people" in the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere were badly undermined by the arrogant and punitive policies of the IJA troops who were the face of Japan presented to the conquered peoples. Government policy was that these people are allies, and should be respected as such, whereas the military saw them as losers, conquered people, and beneath contempt, unworthy of honorable treatment from any self-respecting warrior.
Check out Col Tsuji:
Masanobu Tsuji - Wikipedia
A fanatic who wielded an influence throughout the IJA all out of proportion to his rank.

Last edited:
Places like Korea and Manchukuo was going to be Japanese territory Ad Infinitum so the idea of providing industry as common sense to build local weapons for the local garrisons.

Which is far easier than shipping in. This was not philanthropy but the fruits of occupation.

Japan wanted buffers from the West but then the buffers needed buffers and so on.

Kicking the West out of Asia is fair enough but it was replacing one imperial power with another.

I would think that would have been centuries before on Lesbos?

Below a Lesbian Rule:
A lesbian rule was historically a flexible mason's rule made of lead that could be bent to the curves of a molding, and used to measure or reproduce irregular curves. Lesbian rules were originally constructed of a pliable kind of lead found on the island of Lesbos.

Krzywik (1).jpg

The island of Lesbos is widely known as the home of the ancient Greek poet Sappho, from whose association with homosexuality the word lesbian derives its modern meaning.

Kicking the West out of Asia is fair enough but it was replacing one imperial power with another.
Spoken like a true colonizer. Millions of asians would gladly swap exploitive rule by white men for equally exploitive rule by an all Asian empire. Us honkies sometimes have trouble wrapping our heads around ideas like that, but Beijing is well aware.

The various responses to the Japanese occupations were a mixed bag. Some 30,000 Indians enlisted on Japan's side for the war, as did many Indonesians as well. Thailand is fairly rated an accomplice. Korea had been a vassal state for decades, and China had not only the depredations of the 30s but the humiliation of 1895 to remember.

I would imagine that parties or groups inside each individual conquered state or colony had different views, as well.

I believe that one reason the British had difficulties in retaking Southeast Asia (insofar as they did so incompletely) is that many of the locals did not have pleasant memories being part of the Empire, and saw no reason to risk life and limb for imperial squabbles decided in London and Tokyo. As the Who later sang, the thought of "Meet the new boss / same as the old boss" probably had a bit of traction in that theater.

The Koreans and Chinese obviously hold to their legitimate grievances to this day. The Vietnamese and Indonesians just wanted to be left the Hell alone, though both took advantage of the power vacuum after the war to fight for and gain their independences. The tensions nowadays don't seem so obvious to me, but I'm not well-read on current opinions in those nations.

It's not clear-cut and I see little value in thinking this is an either/or question.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back