BombTaxi - as a Canadian I sincerely thank you for your intelligent words. I started on the same vein some time ago - but after your "appalling" observation to Sys I realized that you were making my point better than I myself could.
I try not patronize people but in this case - with Sys - it is unfortunately unavoidable.
Sys is having a little "sport" with Canadians - turning our crank so to speak

Seen this behavior from American males - educated American males - who like to watch Canadians
react. Such behavior usually takes place .... IN BARS. Understand what I'm saying, Sys?
So a little education and perspective is coming you way, respectfully.
What this thread - and many others in this otherwise wonderful forum - have revealed is that it is possible for otherwise intelligent people - males - to get further and further off topic - and the further away from topic they get the deeper they dig in. [Soren's Germany-Japan-Russia thread is a classic ongoing example of this -- just how far things can progress beyond common sense logic + facts].
Canada's participation militarily and economically in WW2 can NOT be discussed in isolation from WW1. In both - Canada punched way, way, way beyond it's weight. What our American friend refuses to acknowledge is that the true measure of a country's value as an ally is its participation as PERCENTAGE OF POPULATION and GDP. And as our American friend knows from his own country's experience (sadly) the measure of participation is VOLUNTEER participation. Canada has never fielded a conscript force in modern times.
Canada lost an entire generation of Canadian young men in their very Promise and Prime ... (Britain, France, Germany, Australia etc also did) in a way that the US who was late to the party by THREE YEARS did not experience. That is not a criticism of the US - that is simply fact.
Having fought in EVERY major WW1 battle and continuously being deployed as SHOCK TROOPS - in 1918 the Canadian Army [Canada's 100 Days) rolled back the German Army - taking more ground and more prisoners than their MUCH LARGER American ally with their great equipment and good rations.
Those Canadian men who died 1914-1918 did not live to have the sons of their own to go to war in 1939. And the ones who did return in 1918 -- many had lost the desire or instinct to reproduce -- my moms two brothers and dad being examples dear to my heart.
Sys .. don't talk baseball-stats-WW2-history to me cause it doesn't mean a thing. Percentage of population (volunteer) participation and % GDP are the only honest measures and if you'd stop and think for a moment you realize I am right.
But keep cranking buddy ... I got the clutch depressed and the spark retarded
MM
Toronto