Musician Obituaries (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dino Danelli, drummer of The Rascals, Bulldog, Fotomaker and Little Steven & The Disciples Of Soul, is dead at 78, of various ailments, including congestive heart failure, heart disease and dementia.

Born in 1944, Robert Bottinelli (Dino's real name), gravitated to the drums as a child, and left home at age 12-13, living on the streets of Manhattan, eventually moving into one of the dressing rooms at the Metropole club in Time Square, where he was befriended by Gene Krupa, Cozy Cole, and other well known drummers, who gave him drum equipment and pointers and helped Dino begin his career as a working drummer. Dino sometimes worked three gigs a day around the city, and eventually moved to New Orleans, where he worked with a rockabilly band for two years, returning to NYC, where he was hired by a lounge singer. In that band, he worked with keyboard player/singer Felix Cavaliere, and with him, formed The Rascals with singer Eddie Brigati and guitarist Gene Cornish. The rest is history. The Rascals were a hit-making machine from 1965-71.

Dino worked later with the abovementioned bands throughout the years, and participated with the other Rascals in a reunion from 2012-13 that ended acrimoniously. Dino also worked as a commercial artist to make a living. Art was his life. I had the opportunity to get to know Dino in 1887-88.

Jeff Beck, among the most innovative and certainly the most unpredictable of '60s guitar heroes, died on Tuesday. He was 78.

"On behalf of his family, it is with deep and profound sadness that we share the news of Jeff Beck's passing. After suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis, he peacefully passed away yesterday," reads a statement from his rep. "His family ask for privacy while they process this tremendous loss."

This one hurts. Behind Alex Lifeson he's probably the biggest influence on my guitarin', and his songs have helped provide a soundtrack for the joys and pitfalls of my life. RIP, good sir.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZAusokFHb0

Yes, I'm blown away by Jeff's untimely and unexpected passing, His groundbreaking work with The Yardbirds is like a big part of the soundtrack of my formative years. I saw Jeff several years ago from the second row of the Wellmont Theatre in Montclair, NJ, and he blew me away. The man was the master of the Fender Stratocaster. I've never seen another guitarist handle a Strat as well as Jeff did, exploring all the subtle nuances of the whammy bar and volume swells. Just a genius player. RIP, Jeff.

Last edited:
Eight Grammy awards among others.

Inducted twice into the Hall of Fame (1 x Yardbirds + 1 by himself). Among the few who people don't flat out copy because
they are so unique the inevitable comparison will be made and the original will come out in front.

Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in the same band ? Jeff Beck playing with just about everyone else in the industry over time
with none of them being there to make him look good - he didn't need that.

I have only seen film of him live but the joy of the music shines through every time. His work with Imelda May was superb.

RIP and at the same time thank you for letting the rest of us follow the journey.

Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in the same band ?

Of the three guitar gods who came out of the Brit-rock 60s (Beck, Pagey, and Clapton) Beck is far and away my favorite, for his willingness to stretch. Page had some of that, Clapton not so much, but Jeff seemed always searching and fearless.

It's terribly sad.
I was trying to explain Beck's unique qualities to someone quite recently. In the end I just summed it up as nobody sounds like Beck, in fact nobody even tries to sound like Beck, whereas there are thousands who try to sound like all the other guitar greats (you can make your own list), admittedly with varying degrees of success.
Beck developed an entirely unique method of playing the electric guitar and you can count guitar players who have done that on one hand. It wasn't always to my taste but it was always thrilling to hear.

Well enough known for those of a certain age in the UK. I'd say both the Guess Who (pre-Robbie) and BTO are fixtures in the classic rock canon and on stations like Planet Rock.

Another sad loss. I guess for people like me the musicians that I grew up listening to, and who are really not that much older than me, are slowly shuffling off this mortal coil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back