Musician Obituaries (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Levon Helm, Drummer and Singer of the Band, Dead at 71 | Music News | Rolling Stone

Levon Helm, singer and drummer for the Band, died on April 19th in New York of throat cancer. He was 71.

"He passed away peacefully at 1:30 this afternoon surrounded by his friends and bandmates," Helm's longtime guitarist Larry Campbell tells Rolling Stone. "All his friends were there, and it seemed like Levon was waiting for them. Ten minutes after they left we sat there and he just faded away. He did it with dignity. It was even two days ago they thought it would happen within hours, but he held on. It seems like he was Levon up to the end, doing it the way he wanted to do it. He loved us, we loved him."

In the late Nineties, Helm – whose singing anchored Band classics like "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," "Up on Cripple Creek," "Rag Mama Rag," and "The Weight" – was diagnosed with throat cancer and underwent 28 radiation treatments, eventually recovering his voice. In recent weeks, however, Helm had canceled a number of shows, including one at the New Orleans Jazz Fest on April 27th and another in Montclair, New Jersey. A note posted to his website on Tuesday from his daughter Amy and wife Sandy said that Helm was in the "final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration...he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage."

Born May 26, 1940 in Arkansas, Helm was literally a witness to the birth of rock roll; as a teenager, he saw Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis in concert and was inspired to play drums after seeing Lewis' drummer, Jimmy Van Eaton. (Helm went on to play mandolin and other stringed instruments as well). In 1960, Helm joined the backup band of rockabilly wildman Ronnie Hawkins – a group that would eventually include Robbie Robertson, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko and Garth Hudson, all future members of the Band.

The musicians broke from Hawkins to form their own group – their names included the Crackers and Levon and the Hawks – but it was their association with Bob Dylan that cemented their reputation. After Dylan saw the group in a club (either in Canada or New Jersey, depending on the source), he invited Helm and guitarist Robertson to join his electric band. "Bob Dylan was unknown to us," Helm wrote in his 1993 memoir This Wheel's on Fire. "I knew he was a folksinger and songwriter whose hero was Woody Guthrie. And that's it." Robertson and Helm were in Dylan's electric band for his controversial, frequently booed show at New York's Forest Hills Tennis Stadium. Afterward, various members of the Band played on Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and toured with him in 1966. (Helm left temporary in 1965, tired of the ongoing hostility from Dylan's folk fans.)

Recuperating in Woodstock after his 1966 motorcycle accident, Dylan again hooked up with the band that would soon be the Band. Before Helm rejoined them, they recorded the landmark Basement Tapes, and the Band's crackling, homespun take on American roots music began to take shape. Rechristening themselves the Band, they signed to Capitol Records and released two classic albums, Music From Big Pink (1968) and The Band (1969). Although Robertson was the Band's principal songwriter, it was Helm's beautifully gruff and ornery voice that brought the Canadian Robertson's mythic Americana songs to life. He was also one of rock's earliest singing drummers.

In 1976, at Robertson's urging, the Band broke up after its farewell concert, known as "The Last Waltz." In meetings before the concert and as recounted in This Wheel's on Fire, Helm was adamantly opposed to the group disbanding. "I didn't want any part of it," he wrote. "I didn't want to break up the band." He begrudgingly went along, but his relationship with Robertson was never the same. After the show, Helm formed his own band, Levon Helm and the RCO All Stars, featuring fellow legends Dr. John, Steve Cropper, and Booker T. Jones, and recorded several solo albums. Helm also ventured into acting with an acclaimed role in 1980's Coal Miner's Daughter, playing Loretta Lynn (Sissy Spacek's) father. But he couldn't leave the Band behind, and with Danko, Manuel, and Hudson, he formed a new version of the Band in the early Eighties, recording three new studio albums with them.

The Band continued for a while after Manuel's suicide by hanging in 1986, but Danko's death in 1999 of heart failure ended the Band once and for all. By then, Helm was dealing with throat cancer. After his recovery, he began holding intimate concerts in his combination barn and studio in Woodstock, called the "Midnight Ramble," in part to pay his medical bills. The low-key, woodsy performances became must-see shows and attracted a rock who's who; Elvis Costello, Natalie Merchant, the Grateful Dead's Phil Lesh and Donald Fagen were among the many who joined Helm and his band. The Ramble shows led to two acclaimed Helm solo albums – 2007's Dirt Farmer, which won a Grammy in the Best Traditional Folk category, and 2009's Electric Dirt, which resulted in a Grammy for Best Americana album. "This go-round has been a lot more fun," Helm told Rolling Stone in 2009. "Now I know I've got enough voice to do it."

When the Band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994, Helm didn't attend, revealing that his feud with Robertson was still on. "I thought Levon was going to show," Robertson told Rolling Stone a few years later. "Then that evening they said he changed his mind and wasn't going to come. And I thought, 'Oh, God, it would have been better if he was here.'"

Helm's throat cancer had taken a toll on his singing voice. On stage and in recent interviews, his voice was sometimes strong but other times was reduced to a low rasp. But at one his last shows, in Ann Arbor on March 19th with a 13-piece band, the audience roared when he sang the Band classic "Ophelia." "I'm not the poster boy of good health," he said in an interview last year. "But I'm not doing too bad. I still got the energy to make music. As long as I can do that, I'm great."

Attachments

• Levon-Helm1-608x342.jpg
    Levon-Helm1-608x342.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 850
Alvin Lee Is Going Home: 'Ten Years After' Guitarist Dies
Alvin Lee Is Going Home: 'Ten Years After' Guitarist Dies : The Two-Way : NPR

Guitarist Alvin Lee, whose incendiary performance with the British band Ten Years After was one of the highlights of the 1969 Woodstock festival, has died. He was 68. Lee's website says he;
"passed away early this morning [Wednesday] after unforeseen complications following a routine surgical procedure."
An assistant to his daughter also confirmed the news to NPR.

alvinlee0b45-s4.jpg

'The Hockey Song' singer Stompin' Tom Connors dies at 77

'The Hockey Song' singer Stompin' Tom Connors dies at 77 - CBSSports.com

Canadian folk singer Stompin' Tom Connors, the writer and singer of The Hockey Song, passed away Wednesday, according to the singer's official website.

He was 77 years old.

According to a statement on his website he died of natural causes at his home in Ontario.

Even if you're not famliar with any of his other work, there is a good chance if you're a hockey fan you've heard his 1973 song The Hockey Song at some arena throughout Canada or the United States over the years.

8059691.jpg

Last edited:
Another Woodstock legend.....

Woodstock performer Richie Havens dies of heart attack at 72

Woodstock performer Richie Havens dies of heart attack at 72 - The Washington Post

By Associated Press, Updated: Monday, April 22, 7:37 PM

NEW YORK — Richie Havens, the folk singer and guitarist who was the first performer at Woodstock, died Monday. He was 72.

Havens died of a heart attack in New Jersey, his family said in a statement. He was born in Brooklyn. Havens was known for his crafty guitar work and cover songs, including his well-received cover of Bob Dylan's "Just Like a Woman."

His performance at the three-day 1969 Woodstock Festival, where headliners included Jimi Hendrix, was a turning point in his career. He was the first act to hit the stage, performing for nearly three hours. His performance of "Freedom" — based from the spiritual "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" — became an anthem.

Havens returned to the site during Woodstock's 40th anniversary in 2009.

"Everything in my life, and so many others, is attached to that train,"
he said in an interview that year with The Associated Press.

2013-04-22T211329Z_01_SIN002_RTRIDSP_3_MUSIC-RICHIEHAVENS.jpg

Chrissy Amphlett dead; Divinyls lead singer was 53

Chrissy Amphlett dead; Divinyls lead singer was 53 | Fox News

Chrissy Amphlett, the raunchy lead singer of the Australian rock band Divinyls whose hit "I Touch Myself" brought her international fame in the early 1990s, died at her home in New York City on Sunday. She was 53 years old.
"Christine Joy Amphlett succumbed to the effects of breast cancer and multiple sclerosis, diseases she vigorously fought with exceptional bravery and dignity,"
her musician husband Charley Drayton said in a statement.

Amphlett was an icon of Australian music renowned for her distinctive singing voice as well as edgy stage performances clad in school uniforms and fishnet stockings. She was born on Oct. 25, 1959, in Geelong city in Victoria state, cousin of 1960s Australian pop star Patricia Amphlett, known as "Little Pattie," who was at her New York bedside on Sunday. Amphlett met musician Mark McEntee at a concert at the Sydney Opera House in 1980 and the pair formed the Divinyls.

The band released six albums between 1982 and 1996, peaking in 1991 with the success of the single "I Touch Myself," which reached No. 1 in Australia, No. 4 in the United States and No. 10 in Britain. The band reformed briefly in 2006. Amphlett announced in 2007 that she had multiple sclerosis and in 2010 that she had cancer.
chrissy0.jpg
chrissy.jpg

FORMER KROKUS DRUMMER DANI CRIVELLI

Former Krokus drummer Dani Crivelli passed away on April 21. No cause of death was stated at the time. Crivelli played drums with the Swiss metal band from 1987-1989, performing on their 'Heart Attack' album in 1988, and the following tour. The band issued a statement on their website saying, in part, "We are saddened to report to you that drummer Dani Crivelli passed away. Our sincere condolences to his family and loved ones."

1988_heart_attack_21.jpg

Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead from Liver Failure at 49.
BLABBERMOUTH.NET - SLAYER Guitarist JEFF HANNEMAN Dead At 49

SLAYER guitarist Jeff Hanneman passed away at about 11 a.m. today (Thursday, May 2) near his Southern California home. He was 49. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Hanneman — who in January 2011 contracted necrotizing fasciitis, likely caused by a spider bite, and has been undergoing surgeries, skin grafts and intense rehab since — spoke to U.K.'s Classic Rock magazine in the fall of 2011 about his recovery which has seen him sit out an entire two years' worth of touring with the band.

JeffHanneman-RIP-1.png

I just found out about this...

Former 'Yes' guitarist Peter Banks died March 8, 2013, at the age of 65. Banks co-founded 'Yes' with Chris Squire in 1968 and played on the group's self-titled debut album and the follow-up "Time and a Word."

bsanks4cbe7.jpg

Alvin Lee Is Going Home: 'Ten Years After' Guitarist Dies
Alvin Lee Is Going Home: 'Ten Years After' Guitarist Dies : The Two-Way : NPR

Guitarist Alvin Lee, whose incendiary performance with the British band Ten Years After was one of the highlights of the 1969 Woodstock festival, has died. He was 68. Lee's website says he; An assistant to his daughter also confirmed the news to NPR.

View attachment 227068

Dayum, just read this one. One of my all time favorite guitarists. Woodstock version of I'm Going Home is a classic. Saw Ten Years Later live back in the late 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back