Musician Obituaries

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

R&B singer Percy Sledge dies at 73

(CNN)Percy Sledge, the R&B belter whose biggest hit, "When a Man Loves a Woman," became a cornerstone of soul music, died Tuesday. He was 73.

Sledge died in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, said Stephanie Price of the East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner's Office. Sledge died of natural causes, said East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner Dr. William Clark. He had been in hospice care for cancer, Clark added.

In a career that started in the 1960s, Sledge had a number of hits, including "Take Time to Know Her," "Warm and Tender Love" and "It Tears Me Up" among them.

But his first and biggest hit, "When a Man Loves a Woman," towered over them all.

'When a Man Loves a Woman' singer Percy Sledge dies - CNN.com

Percy_Sledge2.jpg

Jack Ely Dead at 71: "Louie Louie" Singer Was an Original Member of The Kingsmen

Jack Ely Dead at 71: Louie Louie Singer Was an Original Member of The Kingsmen | E! Online

The Kingsmen member Jack Ely has died after a long battle with an illness. He was 71. His son Sean Ely confirmed the news to multiple outlets Tuesday afternoon saying the singer passed away at his home in Redmond, Ore.
"Because of his religious beliefs, we're not even sure what [the illness] was," Sean shared with reporters.
Jack was an original member of The Kingsmen, a band formed in 1959 that primarily performed cover songs at shows. They would also record the classic single "Louie Louie" that featured Jack's incoherent vocals.

the-kingsmen-today1.jpg

Ben E King: R&B legend dies at 76

Ben E King: R&B legend dies at 76 - BBC News

R&B and soul singer Ben E King, best known for the classic song 'Stand By Me', has died at the age of 76. King started his career in the late 1950s with The Drifters, singing hits including "There Goes My Baby" and "Save The Last Dance For Me'. After going solo, he hit the US top five with 'Stand By Me' in 1961. It returned to the charts in the 1980s, including a three-week spell at number one in the UK following its use in the film of the same name and a TV advert. King's other hits included 'Spanish Harlem', 'Amor', 'Don't Play That Song (You Lied)' and 'Supernatural Thing - Part I'. The singer died on Thursday, his publicist Phil Brown told BBC News.

images.jpg

Last edited:
Chris Squire, Yes Bassist and Co-Founder, Dead at 67

Bassist was only member of legendary prog rock group to appear on every album
Chris Squire, Yes Bassist and Co-Founder, Dead at 67 | Rolling Stone

Chris Squire, the co-founder and longtime bassist of prog rock icons Yes and the only member of the group to feature on every studio album, has passed away just over a month after revealing that he was suffering from a rare form of leukemia. Squire was 67. Current Yes keyboardist Geoff Downes first tweeted the news, "Utterly devastated beyond words to have to report the sad news of the passing of my dear friend, bandmate and inspiration Chris Squire."

(This guy was a member of my second favorite band "Yes". So sad.)

Chris+Squire+YesChrisSquire.png
Chris-Squire-630x420.jpg

Scott Weiland, Former Stone Temple Pilots Singer, Dead at 48

Scott Weiland, Former Stone Temple Pilots Singer, Dead at 48 | Rolling Stone

Scott Weiland, the instantly recognizable voice behind Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver known for his dynamic stage presence, has died. He was 48. Weiland's manager confirmed the news to Rolling Stone, but declined to confirm a cause of death.

Weiland passed away in his sleep on a tour stop in Bloomington, Minnesota, according to an official Instagram post. In addition to sharing the news of his death, it read, "At this time we ask that the privacy of Scott's family be respected."

1221756785385_f.jpg

Was diagnosed 2 days ago with an aggresive form of cancer. Died today sitting at home in front of a video game with friends and family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back