My father's (RA fighter pilot) flying logbook

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Saetta

Thankyou so much for sharing that. If i am reading this corretly, your Dad had over 1000 hours experience, which if true would make him a very experienced pilot.

My point about traiing related to the pilots being turned out in the latter part of the war. as the war progressed, the shortages of fuel, training aircraft and the high loss rates forced the germans and the Japanese (and I suspect the other Axis members) to shorten their training times. This had a disastrous effect on the pilot survival times in the latter part of thwar, and is a big reason for the one sided defeats sufferred by the Germans and japanese in 1944-5. There have been many attempts to argue that they were heavily outnumbered, this is untrue. others have tried to argue the superior performance of allied aircraft.....perhaps somewhat true in the pacific, but not true as a generalization.

As for the alleged inferiority of the italian pilots, I have never bought that. Pre-war the Italians were well known for thair impressive aerobatic displays allover Europe, which in itself was evidence of their aerial proficiency. They have been accused of favouring horizontal manouvre over speed dive and climb tactics, but in aircraft like the CR42, I think that was simply trying to get the most out of the airframe. They have been accused of having insufficient aggrssiveness compared to the LW pilots, but I just dont think thats true either.

You are undoubtedly proud of your Dads flying record, and so you should. well donel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back