My latest WW2 pilot/nav watch

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flightpath

Airman 1st Class
Nov 16, 2007
Tranby, Norway
Hi,

I thought I'd share my latest watch.........

During WW2 the RAF sourced good quality wristwatches to supliment the 6B/159 Omega and Longines watches used by their pilots and navigators, unfortunately this is not one of them............

Although this is a very nice watch I have since found out that it is not an ex-RAF watch but a 1950s watch with W2 markings and that Bravingtons were not suppliers to the RAF.

The watch has a silvered face with black hands numbers. It has a stainless, waterproof, screw back case, it is non-magnetic and has a movemtent cover. The case is 32.5mm diameter with 16mm lugs (with spring pins).

Bravpage.jpg

cheers,

-John

Dear John:

Many thanks for share with us your very nice treasures!

Jan.
NOTE................ I thought it was a treasure, but I have since found out that this is a 1950s watch with WW2 type markings on the back, the seller has very nicely agreed to give a refund and it has been returned, I'm learning to do my research before I buy something!

P.S.
Bravingtons were not a supplier to the RAF but purchased military items after the war to sell (this watch was never used by the RAF and is not ex-military).

cheers,

John
P.S.
I'm lucky to have just found something to take the sting out of finding a fake in my collection...... I just bought a 1943 RAF Omega 6B/159 in nice condition (no fake!)..........

MyOmega6B15904.jpg

Hi I recently purcased this watch. The seller states it is ww2 pilot/navigator watch. It is stamped on the back can anyone tell me if this is genuine or if I have made a mistake. Thanks Paul.

Attachments

• GarageSale_1239558076_2042.jpg
    GarageSale_1239558076_2042.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 327
  • GarageSale_1239558076_2041.jpg
    GarageSale_1239558076_2041.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 318
It looks like one, although the old War Dept 'arrow' isn't engraved on the back. It is also similar to the current-issue G10 watch, of which very close copies are available.

6B/234 is the Air Ministry stores code for a Mk VIII watch, which was of a lower specification to the Mk VII (navigational standard) watch, coded 6B/159.
The Mk VIII was issued for those tasks that didn't require the accuracy of a navigational watch, and ended up being a general aircrew item.

Interestingly, the US-supplied A-11 watches, as used by the USAAF for navigational purposes, were deemed not to meet the 6B/159 standard and were thus marked 6B/234.
Similarly, 6B/159s that, after repair, did not meet the original specifications were downgraded to 6B/234s, with the old code being barred out and the new one engraved below.

I notice your watch is either in a left-handed case, or the dial has been repositioned.

All the best,
PB

Hi I have done some more research on this watch and apparently it origianally started life in a reconasiance camera 14A-737. The watch was set to the time before aircraft took off and then the time of picture was registered on the negatives.They were then recased and given to navigators/pilots. This watch is in a left hand case.Intresting little watch. Thanks for all your help.

Hi Paul,I attach some pictures of a camera clock in situ,If yours fits a standard pilots watch case
it may not be a camera watch as it is too large.The serials check out as mentioned although
the crows foot does not appear till much later in the war,the 1939-43 gear usually only
has the 6b/ number and sometimes A.M or a Kings Crown.
Cheers Mike

Attachments

• ll 182.JPG
    ll 182.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 272
  • ll 180.JPG
    ll 180.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 265

Users who are viewing this thread

Back