My "other" hobby- wargames

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
As I don't have anything suitable for the Pacific GB, I thought I'd show something from my "other" hobby- wargaming.
My username refers to the scale I prefer to work in, commonly called 28mm. The figures are usually 28mm from foot to eye (I know, a weird hangover from another time), and vehicles tend to be 1:56, with some preferring 1:48th. This, of course, ties in to my choice of scale for the aircraft I build.

My current choices are Bolt Action for WW2, focussing on the war in Italy:
This is a section of the Hermann Goering Division in Italy, around 1943. The figures are multi-part plastic figures, while the vehicles are resin.
IMG_20200609_164343.jpg

This represents elements of the South African 6th Division, again multi-part plastic figures with resin vehicles.
PXL_20220413_160808223.MP.jpg

I also have a US, another German Heer group and several more that are WIP.

I also collect Dark Ages for three rule-sets (Open Combat for skirmishes) and either Hail Casar or Warhammer Ancient Battles for larger-scale conflicts. The figures tend to be interchangeable, with sabot bases to allow use for whichever of the rules are being use that day. The figures tend to be either pewter, or (as these below are) multi-part plastic figures.
These are a small skirmish group of 8 Normans:
Normans (Dismounted) 1-1 (Frontal).jpg

Normans (Dismounted) 1-2 (Rear).jpg

This is a full-scale Viking army (167 figures) which will all be finished to a similar standard as the Normans above. They are multi-based for ease of movement, but have quite a few singles which are also suitable for my skirmish games:
PXL_20220502_163905089.jpg

I plan to finish these in a relatively short time-frame, and will hopefully have these done in time for the start of the next aircraft GB.

those are great.

i have a good friend in California who does warhammer and war hammer 4000 figures and vehicles
The amount of work that goes into some of those is insane- too much for me. I haven't looked at fantasy or sci-fi in about 15 years- I only do historicals now.

I'm working on a 10mm Late Roman army for Warmaster. They are the companion army for my Visigoths. But I am not a talented bugger. Slow and sloppy is my painting style. Just got a shipment of shield transfers from thebaggagetrain.com so now I have no excuse to finish the legions.

I'm working on a 10mm Late Roman army for Warmaster. They are the companion army for my Visigoths. But I am not a talented bugger. Slow and sloppy is my painting style. Just got a shipment of shield transfers from thebaggagetrain.com so now I have no excuse to finish the legions.
Considering the scale and the detail you usually get that is a really good result.

Real life got in the way- I am a carer for my father, and he's had a few setbacks recently, leaving me with less time for hobbies.
Sorry to hear that. I hope everything is going ok.

This is a very interesting thread to me as wargaming goes hand in hand with modelling. Generally I like my historical gaming models to be
reasonably close to the real thing. Later efforts are better than the ones from 40 years ago so I must have learnt something.

These kind of things help to keep me inspired so thanks to all contributors so far.

As an aside I have tried to do some 1/35th scale models due to smaller scales being harder on my eyes. Gaming scale for me is mostly 1/72.

1/35th is a bit frustrating as far as figure groups go due to the different sizes of 1/35th from different manufacturers.

various.jpg

Here is an example. The two large figures at either end are Dragon. Second from the left Italeri. Third from left Tamiya.

The two German helmets at the bottom are both 1/35th and both from different manufacturers and are significantly different in size.

Size difference in the smaller scales can be noticeable but not as glaring. For those looking to make a 1/35th diorama vehicles tend to be
close but it is advisable to check figure sizes before you invest.

After hurricane Katrina when mail delivery began again, I asked the mailman how he did during the storm. He said fine because he had moved several years before from St. Bernard Parish (just below New Orleans) to rural Mississippi mostly to get away from his family. In that area near New Orleans most families live close and everyone knows every one's neighbors/family. He told me then, he had his brothers, sisters, their families, and parents living with him in Mississippi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back