Mystery Landing Gear

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi all

I attach images of the torque link arrangement which might help with identification.

Thanks for all your help so far.

IMGP6767.JPG
IMGP6756.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Evan,

its at Nelson airport. It snagged the net of a fishing boat in 1982 and was subsequently recovered, along with an engine and a propeller, which are held by a local diving club.

NZ2029 (from ADF Serials):

Hudson Mk.III NZ2029 S/n 3852, previously AE497 from British Purchasing Mission contracts. Shipped to New Zealand on Donerail, BOC Unit 1 Hobsonville on 20 October 1941 and assembled at No.1 Aircraft Depot Hobsonville. To No.2 GR Squadron Nelson. Crashed after hitting sea while low flying [during air gunnery exercise] over Tasman Bay 30 September 1942. The propellers struck the water before the aircraft climbed to about 200 feet and then crashed into the sea. Flying Officer Dean Horrocks, Sergeant Vincent Hill, Sergeant Jack Bryson, Sergeant Victor Chapple, Sergeant Gordon Stevens and AC1 John Davis killed. Warrant Officer J. Colway injured. Written off books at Nelson 16 October 1942."

Although ADF Serials records the date in which NZ2029 struck the water as 30 September 1942, Errol Martyn in his book For Your Tomorrow Volume One; Fates 1915 - 1942 records the incident occuring the day before, "...at about 1555 some 5 miles off Motueka".

Cheers Grant!

6 out of 7 crew killed is a huge loss, WO Colway was very fortunate to have survived!
Sounds like the remainder of the wreckage may still sitting off Motueka too, no doubt a local diving attraction.

More news from our corner of the world Evan, firstly, Tongariro erupted two days ago, sent ash flying across the North Island, flights from the Hawkes Bay cancelled and there's an airshow at Ardmore on 29 September for the first flight of Jerry Yagen's Mossie! Should be fantastic!

That's all for now from Kiwiland. :)

Cheers for that Grant! Totally isolated here from news of home.

What's the danger to the local area?

Great news re the Mossie too!

Thanks everyone, for narrowing this down to a Lockheed Hudson or Lodestar. I've had a quick look through some records that were to hand for a crash report of this aircraft for the area it was found in and can't find anything. I suspect it will take a detailed search, which I don't really have time for at the moment.

I may have a new request for you all in due course - quite an interesting one. I'll keep you posted.

All the best.

I just looked at my model P51-D and the landing gear looks the same in the linkages and the broken off ones on the right angle on the shaft area.

I was noting how similar it was to the P-51. The image with the bolt head indicates USA make. Oh well the evidence presents the facts - not a P-51.

Douvie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back