NA F-86 vs Saab J29 -which why?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sure is...thanks for taking your time with this mate, much appreciated! What's your views on the J-35 Draken/Dragon?

Learn something new everyday here....:lol: Well, was build for defence, so I'm not surprised. :lol: How would it compare to the F-8?
I think over all the F-8 was way better. It had combat legs, lower wing loading as well as being "combat proven." The J-35 was slightly faster and I believe climbed faster.

Sorry about that FB...had to leave for my nightshift. So it would be fair to say that the F-8 would come out on top in mock fight then, right?
Its hard to say - I'd think its performance would be similar to a MiG-21. I think the F-8 might have the advantage in the vertical although it seems the Drakken has a better advertised climb rate. Any delta configuration really looses energy in a turn so the F-8 may have the advantage there as well. The Early Drakkens had 2 cannons, later reduced to one, the F-8 had 4 guns. I do know the F-8 downed 2 MiG-21s over Vietnam and had the best kill/ loss ratio of that conflict. Again I'd go with the F-8 but

That sound about right - I know the history Channel had a good piece about the Crusader and the book "And Kill Migs" also gives a good account of the F-8 in Vietnam.

I have that book, but back in Sweden. Wasn't this the same guy who wrote about the Dauntless, Corsair and was on Dogfights? Or am I thinking about someone else?

But, I have Lou Drendel's books as well. Many of them And Kill MiGs is one of them. I've been trying to find Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club: U.S. Carrier Operations Off Vietnam by Rene Francillon....

No so much on the Intruder but try "Wild Weasel, first in, last out." I never read it but I heard it was pretty good.

Nice to know FB, thanks a bunch! Any recommendations for Intruder and Wild Weasel books? From Vietnam that is....
I have a trilogy fictional but very Clancy like the call signs ,routes are I believe are correct .Its about the 105's flying out of Thailand the author is Tom Wilson who has over 3000hrs of fighter time with 4 silver stars and 3 DFC's so I'm going to assume its fairly accurate . The books are Termite Hill, Tango Uniform and Luckys Bridge and each one is about 700 pages. Great reads

My pleasure...

J-35 - 5 minute hot rod. Take off, go fast, make a turn, land. The National Test Pilot School in Mojave Ca. Operated several. I knew a few guys who worked on them.

NTPS - Welcome To The National Test Pilot School

Joe you posted this earlier. Great site! There is a cyclic montage of photos on their home page. For a brief period I managed to 'capture' this image...

It LOOKS like a Yak-30 'Magnum'...

..yet I can find no mention of it in their aircraft listings.

Do you know if it's flying in America? It would be an extremely rare aircraft now, and spares would be a problem?

(Or I have completely misidentified it.)

Joe you posted this earlier. Great site! There is a cyclic montage of photos on their home page. For a brief period I managed to 'capture' this image...

It LOOKS like a Yak-30 'Magnum'...

..yet I can find no mention of it in their aircraft listings.

Do you know if it's flying in America? It would be an extremely rare aircraft now, and spares would be a problem?

(Or I have completely misidentified it.)

I think the top image is an Impala but the one on the bottom is new to me. I haven't been back there in over a year but am planning a trip there the first week of April. I'll try to find out more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back