NASA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DBII

Senior Master Sergeant
Oct 16, 2007
Conroe, Texas
I know that this in not a WWII question but I will ask anyway. Back in the 1990s, I shot a picture of a NASA T38 that was painted either sky blue or light blue. I have asked several pilots at NASA about the plane and no one will admit to having seen it. Can anyone tell me why this plane does not have the usual white paint scheme?

DBII

I know that this in not a WWII question but I will ask anyway. Back in the 1990s, I shot a picture of a NASA T38 that was painted either sky blue or light blue. I have asked several pilots at NASA about the plane and no one will admit to having seen it. Can anyone tell me why this plane does not have the usual white paint scheme?

DBII

what do you mean admit ?
Is it secret or something....... maybe testing some new equiptment on it....

NASA has a family day every year for the employees. I slipped in a gate on the flight line and then walked in with a group of family memebers. There was not much security in those days. I was able to get inside of the 747 used to transport the shuttle, yes I have pictures. I went inside of a hanger to take photos of the various planes. While waiting for a chance to shoot, I talked with several pilots and maintance crews. The pilots told me that there was never a light blue T-38. Behind the pilots was a PR booth that NASA had set up. As the pilots were telling me that they have no blue T-38s, the same plane could be seen in the background of the tape. I pointed out the plane and they said again that there was no blue T-38. Either the plane was testing secret equipment or they did not want to admit they were wrong. One person did follow me out of the area but I was to far away for him to catch up.

DBII

Hmmm. They said there "currently" was no light blue T-38? Or was this a denial that what you saw was a T-38? I'm having a hard time reading between the lines here.

Perhaps pilot arrogance refusing to acknowledge your question because it was "obviously" an F-5? Who knows.

I do not know. I shot the photo from a car. I was not able to get a clear view because of the other planes beside it. I think that the pilots did not know either but wanted to mess with my mind. Little did they know that being a tanker, I have no mind to mess with.

I will try and get the picture scaned and posted.

DBII

That would certainly help. Perhaps it was the sonicboom testbed with the extended nose that you misidentified. That is a NASA project using a modified F-5E.

Attachments

• EC03-0229-6.jpg
    EC03-0229-6.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 70
  • EC03-0210-1.jpg
    EC03-0210-1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 68
Different. I like the paint on the aggressor plane 04. I will see about posting the picture over the weekend.

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back