Nazi gold train found ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Latest update today (Aug 15, 2016) Digging to start TODAY!!!

A year ago, two Polish explorers shocked the world by announcing they found a long-lost Nazi train rumored to contain stolen gold and other valuables. After months of investigation and a ground-penetrating radar image that seemed to confirm the train's existence, scientists eventually warned that the fabled loot train may not exist at all. Finally, a group of excavators is going to put the speculation to rest one way or another.

During WWII, Nazis forced POWs to dig miles of underground tunnels in Poland, many of which collapsed in the years after the war. One of those tunnels, near the town of Walbrzych in southwest Poland, has long been rumored to house a secret Nazi train carrying gold and other loot from the war.

No one has ever dug up the tunnel before, mostly because the tunnel itself is extremely hazardous. There is a buildup of natural gases, which is bad enough on its own. Worse, if there is a train it could contain explosives or booby traps. But it seems that those concerns have finally been addressed and the excavation is set to move forward.

The dig will begin on Tuesday morning, and the search group has said there will be a livestream so people can watch history unfold in real time. The team believes they could find the train in as little as two days. "The train is not a needle in the haystack — if there is one, we will find it," said spokesman Andrzej Gaik in a statement to Agence France-Presse.

By the end of the week, the world may finally know for certain if the fabled Nazi loot train is real or just legend.

According to the beeb there will be 3 shafts drilled into the 'tunnel' to see if there really is anything there. I won't be holding my breath.

In the England and Wales if you find something of value you have to report it to the coroner within 14 days. I don't know if it is the same in Scotland, you'd have a job getting any gold out of the average Scots hands! If you are lucky it will be declared treasure and you and the landowner (who gets 50%) could be in the money. You are obliged to sell the treasure to a museum at a price determined by an independent panel of experts, but if no museum wants it, you can keep it. Most treasure is going to be more than 300 years old (think Saxon Hoard or the Roman Seaton Down Hoard) but one of the definitions of treasure is
"Objects substantially made from gold or silver but are less than 300 years old, that have been deliberately hidden with the intention of recovery and whose owners or heirs are unknown."
I'm not sure if that would work for £100 million of Nazi gold. It might have to be given to the German government!
Cheers
Steve

there was a TV show I saw not too long ago where a guy over there found all kinds ( like 3000 ) gold relics on a hill which was owned by a farmer. it was all stuff that predated or was around the romans were there iirc. that was a hobby that paid off big for that guy...and the farmer!

That was probably the 'Staffordshire Hoard'. According to Wiki (I know, I know)

"Terry Herbert, the finder of the hoard, and Fred Johnson, the farmer on whose land the hoard was found, each received a half share of the GBP 3.285 million raised by the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery and the Potteries Museum & Art Gallery."

I guess Terry, he detectorist, went from being a nerd to being a rich nerd to the tune of just over £1.6 million :)

Good for him!

Cheers

Steve

You think? $100 millions? If the gold (which is entirely imaginary in any case) was impressed 'Reichbank', or whatever was used at the time, I reckon it would be claimed.
Money talks and we all know what walks :)
Cheers
Steve
With a GDP of $3.7 trillion, $100 million is just a drop in the bucket for Germany. It simply isn't worth the international outcry that it would cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back