Need help from a WW2 dogfighting person

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MacArther

Staff Sergeant
Sep 19, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
www.edge-gamers.com
I am currently working on a story that entails a lot of detail, especialy when it comes to dogfights. One problem, aside from the short videos I have seen over the years on the History Channel, I have no experience as to how a dogfight should play out, and how much damage specific planes can absorb (especially from different guns). Many of the fighter forums have helped with damage ratios, but I'm still a bit fuzzy about how the fights themselves. With all of this, bear in mind that it is a Historical fiction book I'm working on. Also, this is only the preliminary set of chapters; I plan on expanding on the story much further when I have the time away from school work. Anyway, please submit a post If you have any Ideas as to where I might be fudging things, or if you can help with airial combat scenes.

Here is the story link
http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1943010

Have you read "Thunderbolt" or "The Blond Knight." I thought both books were very discriptive in their air-to-air combat accounts. Even "The Forked Tailed Devil" had some pretty good combat from P-38 pilots...

sad to say, but I have never even heard of those books. I spend most of my book money on the technical guides to every thing and anything concerning warfare.

Try to get your hands on at least Thunderbolt. It gives a discription of Robert Johnson flying his Thunderbolt over Europe, shooting down aircraft and getting shot at as well....

Terror in the Starboard Seat by dave macintyre is an excellent book dealing with a mossie night intruder crew that that covers both in air and ground experiances with humour and fact

You might also check fighter group association websites. They often have first hand accounts of pilots that flew the missions and their experiences. The 78th FG site has some interesting stuff about the Me-262 that they shot down, sort of. It was pretty much on the way down before Meyers shot it.

FLYBOYJ said:
Have you read "Thunderbolt" or "The Blond Knight." I thought both books were very discriptive in their air-to-air combat accounts. Even "The Forked Tailed Devil" had some pretty good combat from P-38 pilots...

I have not read Thunderbolt but I enjoyed "The Blond Knight".

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
FLYBOYJ said:

I have not read Thunderbolt but I enjoyed "The Blond Knight".

There's a good part where Johnson gets the sh*t shot out of him, tried to bail out but the canopy was jammed - good reading even though it was a "Cadin" book.....

Good news and bad news. The good news is that I have purchased a few flight combat books, whose names I will post later. The bad news is that getting through all of these books will delay my next update to my story.

mY FATHER FOUGHT IN WW2 hE WAS A TAIL GUNNER IN THE NEW aIR fORCE, His name was Homer Roy Beck...would like to know if there are any of his war friends alive to tell me any thing about him, I am his illigitamate daughter and he passed before I learned about him..Also would like to learn about the aircraft he flew in.. Thank You

sharron said:
mY FATHER FOUGHT IN WW2 hE WAS A TAIL GUNNER IN THE NEW aIR fORCE, His name was Homer Roy Beck...would like to know if there are any of his war friends alive to tell me any thing about him, I am his illigitamate daughter and he passed before I learned about him..Also would like to learn about the aircraft he flew in.. Thank You

Hi Sharron, what aircraft did he fly? Try here...

http://b24bw.proboards33.com/index.cgi

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back