Need help identifying my uncle’s WWII plane (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

litlbobalu

Recruit
Oct 13, 2022
Hello I'm new to this site. My uncle is pictured with this plane during WWII and I'm trying to find out more about "Double Trouble"
464D7AE4-E4FE-4793-BDF9-7A55213EC872.jpeg

The aircraft is a North American B-25 Mitchell.
The bomber in the background is a British Vickers Wellington. It looks like this has French markings, so it may be in the UK, although the terrain looks more like Italy or North Africa, or perhaps southern France.
The French were supplied with British aircraft, the Wellington being one of them.

The 6th Air Force was first constituted as Panama Canal Air Force on October 19, 1940 and activated on November 20, 1940.
The 6th AF was re-designated as the Caribbean AF in August 1941, and then 6th AF in February 1942. Primary responsibilities included Panama Canal defense.

Constituted as Panama Canal AF on 19 Oct 1940. Activated in the Canal Zone on 20 Nov 1940. Redesignated Caribbean AF in Aug 1941, and Sixth AF in Feb 1942. Served primarily in defense of the Panama Canal; also engaged in antisubmarine operations. Redesignated Caribbean Air Command on 31 Jul 1946.
Commands. VI Bomber: 1941-1946. VI Fighter: 1941-1942. XXVI Fighter: 1942-1946. XXXVI Fighter: 1942.
Stations. Albrook Field, CZ, 20 Nov 1940-.

Commanders. Maj Gen Frank M Andrews, 6 Dec 1940; Maj Gen Davenport Johnson, 19 Sep 1941; Maj Gen Hubert R Harmon, 23 Nov 1942; Brig Gen Ralph H Wooten, 8 Nov 1943; Brig Gen Edgar P Sorensen, 16 May 1944; Maj Gen William O Butler, 21 Sep 1944; Brig Gen Earl H De Ford, 24 Jul 1945; Maj Gen Hubert R Harmon, 1 Feb 1946; Brig Gen Glen C Jamison, 4 Oct 1947; Maj Gen Willis H Hale, 13 Nov 1947; Brig Gen Rosenham Beam, 20 Oct 1949; Brig Gcn Emil C Kiel, 15 Nov 1950; Maj Gen Reuben C Hood Jr, 11 Jun 1953-.

This all makes a lot of sense. When I was a wee lad he told me he trained some in Panama. He was my fishing buddy and rarely talked about his time in service, but when he did I listened closely.
you guys are the best.
my dad, his younger brother was a Korean War veteran and everyone of his children were born on different bases around the country.

This all makes a lot of sense. When I was a wee lad he told me he trained some in Panama. He was my fishing buddy and rarely talked about his time in service, but when he did I listened closely.
you guys are the best.
my dad, his younger brother was a Korean War veteran and everyone of his children were born on different bases around the country.
Thanks - still trying and I'm sure we'll get more responses...

He might have trained there and then sent overseas with a different unit/ command.

I could not find anything about the 6th AF operating B-25s in the Canal Zone. B-18s, B-17s and A-20s.

Do you have any other photos of his plane (or others) taken by your uncle?

Yes, judging by the use of the B-25, I think the first pic was taken some time after service in Panama zone. Hopefully someone may be able to add more regarding which AF - maybe Catch 22 will have some info.

The roundel on the Wellington is odd. It lacks a yellow surround and, by the time USAAF-operated B-25s were in the Mediterranean/North African region, it should have been a Type C roundel with a narrow white central circle.

The French alignment doesn't jive for me, either. Before the end of the war, Free French aircraft wore much larger national markings, typically with the Cross of Lorraine in addition to the roundel. There were some French-manned squadrons in the RAF but, AFAIK, they wore typical RAF markings.

I'm actually wondering if it's a Greek airframe? No.13 Sqn, Royal Hellenic Air Force, flew Wellingtons. I can't find much info online about the unit or its aircraft, so my idea is a long-shot at best. Unfortunately, the few online photos of Greek Wellingtons show white undersides and EDSG/Dark Green camo on the upper surfaces, although the national marking looks to be about the same size and in a similar location, at least as depicted in this profile view.

1665678959515.png

The Wellington sitting next to Double Trouble clearly has black undersides with, perhaps, Dark Earth/Mid Stone upper surfaces. The airframe looks pretty clean so I'm wondering if it was very recently delivered?

All this is pure speculation...just throwing it out there for consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back