Need Help with Wheels (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gus-honeybun

Recruit
Jun 12, 2010
Hi im new to this forum. But i need help i have two wheels with orignal tyre and bearings in, which i was hoping some one on here could tell me what type of plane they came off and would they be worth anything as we are have a clear out. My Dad who brought these wheels when he was younger got them from are local air field called Henstridge Airfield (HMS Dipper).Any help with theses would be appreciated.

IMG00201-20100612-1231.jpg

IMG00202-20100612-1231.jpg

IMG00203-20100612-1231.jpg

IMG00204-20100612-1231.jpg

cheers David

Funny thing this thread just brought back memories of working in a peach orchard in N. CA. We used to "swamp" peach boxes from a low flat trailer, which used aircraft tires. I suppose because they were low axeled and soft for the ride thu the dirt track between the trees. Bill

Hi David;

I looked up the history of the airfield and it seems that Bristow Helicopters operated there for a while. Its possible they may be from a helicopter, possibly a Wessex or Alouette?

Hi David.

What you have there is un-mistakably from something a bit faster than the normal occupants of the Airfield. As soon as I saw the 8 circular 'indents' on the main wheels I knew straight away what you have.

You have a set of main wheels from the English Electric 'Frightening' !.

Attachments

• Lightning.jpg
    Lightning.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 80
Sorry Gary, they're not from a Lightning, although I can see how you thought they were, with the 'perforations' .
The Lightning wheels had the 'holes' all the way through the outer rim, to ventilate the disc brakes. They were also thinner and taller. They aren't from a Wessex or other helicopter either. They look 'fast jet', and are similar to Hunter wheels, but I'm guessing either Sea Vixen, or maybe Sea Hawk, although the internal depth of the inner rim seems a bit deep. They could even be twin nose wheels
Can you provide the overall diameter?

Ooops !....I knew that !:oops: Personally I blame my photo !

I do agree that its a fast jet fitment tho'

That's why I was thinking twin nosewheels Joe. The style looks familar, but I can't place them.

Thanks for all your help so far the air base where they came from was American during the second world war if that helps. If there's any more info you need please say.

Good one Joe. The numbers on the tyre wall will give the rim size and tyre wall ratio, which will give an impression of overall size, narrowing things down a bit. BTW, they are (realtively) modern wheels and tyres, not WW2 vintage. It's driving me mad, as I recognize the style put just can't put my finger on it !

hi every one today i rang goodyear to see if they would have any info on the tyre and what it may have been off. well from the tyre info they said it was made in wolverhampton and they stopped making them in 1984. They mad a guess it could be off a buckinerr but i dont think so as they would have disc brakes if im not mistaken.

They're a similar pattern to the Buccaneer main wheels, but they're not off a Buc. As you stated, the Buc had disc brakes, and the wheel rim had more perforations, again open to the brakes. At 32 inches tall, the size is right for a 'fighter -size' main wheel, but I have a feeling they're twin nose wheels off a bigger aircraft, or possibly main wheels off an older fighter, like the Sea Vixen.

They're a similar pattern to the Buccaneer main wheels, but they're not off a Buc. As you stated, the Buc had disc brakes, and the wheel rim had more perforations, again open to the brakes. At 32 inches tall, the size is right for a 'fighter -size' main wheel, but I have a feeling they're twin nose wheels off a bigger aircraft, or possibly main wheels off an older fighter, like the Sea Vixen.

You're right Joe, that's why I thought of an earlier aircraft like the Sea Vixen, or Seahawk. The Buc had fully perforated outer rims, with an internal disc brake. The earlier aircraft had the brake disc (or drum) fitted into the rear 'well' of the wheel rim, on a hub axle, just like a car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back