need ID of surplus aircraft aluminum tank? see pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dragsterguy

Recruit
Aug 7, 2013
Hello, I am new to the site and joined to see if I could find someone on here that can ID the origins of an aluminum tank for me.
I restore vintage race cars for a hobby and recently found the last missing piece to my 1959 Lyndwood front engine dragster on ebay. It was sold by the original builder of the Lyndwoods, Pat Bilbow, and used as a fuel tank on his dragsters. the story from his family is that pat aquired all the tubing to build the dragsters from military surplus as well as a few other pieces like the front spoke wheels (army motorcycle side car wheels) and the aluminum fuel tanks. I was also told the tanks were used on old bombers and may have been mounted vertically and used for oil or hydrolic systems or maybe a spare fuel tank for on board generators. Any how I just wanted to see if anyone recognised the tank. I like to add any information to my restoration archives as to the origins of the tanks. I will post some pics of the tank with the original military part number on it + a few pics of how they were later used on the dragsters for racing. thanks in advance for any input!

Paul
$(KGrHqV,!icFEcyGDR!fBRN0teu-wg~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16N,!zcE9s4g0-S!BRN0uP5-gg~~60_57.jpg
$(KGrHqZ,!qwFEyzgtS0jBRN0t(uzC!~~60_57.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!loFErfs0ZojBRN0uBvTUw~~60_57.jpg
1001786_539535816106662_175004225_n.jpg

Certainly looks like a an 'oil reservoir'. And it seems kinda familiar to me as I've been crawling around, over, under and inside a few of them for the past few weeks. Gimme a chance and I'll have a looksee over my pics and see if I can get an ident on 'em for you :)

cool, thanks Gary let me know if you come up with something.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back