Need propeller blade ID help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v8sharkie

Airman
Mar 27, 2014
Hey Guys! I'm new to posting on here, but have been on the site a few times before to look around.

Today I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on some propellers that I have an opportunity to purchase. Sadly, I don't have any better photos. And I've not yet see the blades in person.

I was told they're circa 1940's-50's and are approximately 6' ft and weigh in at about 90lbs each. The biggest distinguishing feature to me is the base shape of the blade. After doing some amateur research online I think it looks similar to the 'paddle' blades of a p51 or p47, but not exactly the same.

There is a small indication of manufacturer label midway up some of the blades, but I'm not familiar enough to know off the bat what they are.

Anyways, these may not even be off a WW2 plane, but would still be interested in any input.

Thanks so much and hope to become more active on here soon!

Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 4.54.03 PM.png

Just a quick update to see if anyone knows where I could find info on how to decode these blades. I was able to go out and see the blades in person and I've been able to find a few serial numbers and DWG NO.s, as well. I've attached a photo and the numbers are below (as best as I could read them).

Example 1:
DWG NO YX 2C15B4-126 (Not sure if that's a 6 or 0)
Serial No NS 513864

Example 2:
DWG NO YA 2C1503 126 (Not sure if it is 503 or 563... and last three could be different... 120, 123, 126, 128??)
Serial No. ?

Example 3:
DWG NO ?
Serial No. S (or 5) 49696 (maybe a 2 at the end also)?

propSerials.jpg

Thought I'd share another tidbit I've found... No hard info yet, but found a shot of what was being referred to as an 'experimental' propeller being installed on what looks to me to be a B26 Marauder. There's a shot or my blades for comparison. The other photos I've found have also been blades with similar ends, but usually sporting the full cuffs at the bases and not just the shorter cuffs.

'Experimental' blades being installed:
51E4IZcjlsL._SS500_.jpg

Close up for base comparison:
51E4IZcjlsL._SS500_Close.jpg

My blades:
hsProp_flat.jpg

Ok - thought I'd share another image I found of the same type of blades being installed. This came from a Hamilton Standard de-icing system manual circa '47.

bladeInstall.jpg

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look for the decoding of these blades?

The shot of the 'experimental' blades shows Hamilton Standard props fitted to a Douglas A-26 'Invader', and the blades in your pic could be the same or similar type.

fitted to a Douglas A-26 'Invader'

Airframes - YUP, you're right. I got that one confused when I posted it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm still hunting more info, but if these blades were indeed military I'm leaning towards them being used on A26's. The base near where we purchased these had A26's assigned there and they still have one in the base's museum today.

Also, I took some measurements if that will help anyone narrow this down for us.

Blade length: 72"+
Quill: 8.75" tall
Blade width at base: 13.5"

We ended up with 7 round tip blades (3 of which have a sharper angled base) and 4 square tip blades (1 of those has the same sharper angled base). I'll post some addition pics of the other blades soon!

Here are the shots of the blades back home...

HSblades3Angled.jpg

There are actually 4 of these (the one not pictured has the more angled base like the above round tip blades) - these three still have their Hydromatic bases and they also have what looks to have been a stripe across the center of the fronts of them above the HS logo.
photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

New info - found a stamping up inside the shank. 59044E - mean anything?

propInsideStamping.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back