Neptune FuG 218

tkaniuka

Airman
80
9
Joined
Dec 11, 2015
Is there information around on how the display worked for this radar. From what I have seen it had one cathode tube. I am just q guessing here but was there a switch to display say azimuth and another to show range and elevation, similar to the FuG 220s two tubes but the neptunce used a single and combined them? I am really speculating since I have found little.
 
Thanks!!!!
 
The 218 was in a lot of ways different from the 217. The 218 had the posibility to switch between 6 frequencies in flight by the operator. The display was driven with a a motor switch in the so called A/N way. A modeof electrically switch the direction of the radar beam from side to side or up and down, giving two imigies on the CRT.
The single tube crt was switched by the operator to show the horisontal view or the vertical. The picture was looking like the FuG 220, only the 220 showed both horisontal and vertical at the same time, the 218 was switched by the operator.
 
Being an old RADAR operator (P-3s from 1975-95) I'm always interested in how older RADAR systems worked and how their displays looked.
Ohhh and do tell. You have my ear. :cool:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back