New Display at Omaka

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
We've just had a re-arrange of the displays at Omaka in the WW2 exhibition.
The Avro Anson has left the museum hangar as it's going to be doing joy-rides over summer. Luckily, The owner has a replacement aircraft that he's loaned the museum, however its not in quite as good condition...

Oooo I'm gonna have to go over and look at that. That Hudson has quite an interesting history; it was one of the first RNZAF Hudsons to see combat in the Pacific. It was the Late John Smith's - he of the hidden collection in Mapua - Mosquito, P-40, Mustang etc on his farm and squirrelled away from the world, but it's now Bill Reid's.

Yeah, it survived the war, but sat for so long it looks like a jungle recovery. The photos just don't do it justice - you don't get a sense of the size of the aircraft, or the detail that has gone into the diorama e.g.

Ideally we'd like to have it flying, but the cost is prohibitive if its to stay in NZ. I think that everyone agreed that this was the next best thing.

Yes, another flying Hudson wouldn't go amiss, but it looks like it'd be a ground up rebuild. I looked at it once out at Bill's place.

I see you spider!
There are animals all over that display; spiders, butterflies, turtles, lizards. Other displays have a couple of other animals - owls, and there's a spider monkey in the museum somewhere (it was with the Spitfire scene, but I don't know where it is now).

Users who are viewing this thread