New Job Assignment

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
I might of mentioned here that once and a while I get to fly out of USAFA doing engine break-ins on our PA-18-180 Supercubs. We put about 2000 hours a year on these aircraft so we change engines on each airframe yearly. Multiply that times six (soon to be seven) and there's a lot of "break-in" flying to do.

The engine break-in lasts 10 hours. During that time you're restricted in altitude and you vary the RPM so the engine bearings "break in" properly. Sometimes its pretty boring just droning along.

Today I got to fly a little over an hour. Its funny - the New Life Church (the one recently in the news for the shootings) is about 5 miles from the Academy. When I was outbound I bitched to the tower about all the helicopters hovering around the church - the tower folks chased them away! :evil4:

I had a camera and forgot to take pictures in the air today so you guys got these two, one of the aircraft in the hangar, the other of my ugly mug - before yo ask, the cut on my nose is from my 22 month-old daughter - she whacked me with a plastic cup the other night! :rolleyes:

Anyway the weather in Colorado is turning to dogsh!t over the next few days. The next time I'm up I'll try to get some pictures of the Academy and Southern Colorado.

-FBJ-

Attachments

• cub2.jpg
    cub2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 155
  • cub.JPG
    cub.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 139
Hey Joe, I got a question for you. Since you're breaking in these engines at a higher alt. than we in the flat, landlocked, frozen tundra of the upper Mid-west do you still use mineral oil for the break in period? How long do your breakins usually take?

Hey Joe, I got a question for you. Since you're breaking in these engines at a higher alt. than we in the flat, landlocked, frozen tundra of the upper Mid-west do you still use mineral oil for the break in period? How long do your breakins usually take?
We go for 10 hours and use 80 weight mineral oil. Lycoming has a Service Bulletin we follow, in the summer it's hard to stay below 8500' density altitude they recommend.

Sounds like a fun job, Joe, but I'll bet there is some real knuckle bustin'
work involved, too. It can't be all play....

Charles

Sounds like a fun job, Joe, but I'll bet there is some real knuckle bustin'
work involved, too. It can't be all play....

Charles

Actually its pretty easy. We have the 6 aircraft and we supply the pilots. USAFA runs the operations where they direct the traffic on the ground, do the rope hook-ups etc. We maintain all the gliders (22 all together) plus 4 T-41s and 3 T-51s (150 hp C-150s). We also take care of 3 Twin Otters that are based out of Peterson AFB, about 20 miles away. Those are flown over to the academy daily and used for the skydiving program.

A great job and environment. Sometimes its a bit trying working with the USAF and civilian GA airplanes. Sometimes we get some USAF folks in here who don't understand general aviation, but for the most part its a great place to work.

Except during days when there are football games... :mad:

Yeah, I can see where that might be a prime consideration. No sense running into "Cumulus Granite" right?
I avoid going west, especially in lower powered 172s - Great scenery in the moutains but the rsiks are too great in an aircraft you could get yourself into a lot of trouble really quick. I rather fly over them.

Yeah, I have. But I got a flying jones. It's been a while. I am trying to work on getting a PT-22 air-to-air shoot together. I always wanted to shoot those air-to-air.
I love PT-22s - that would be really cool!!!!

Today I got some more flying in. Flew from the Academy to Greeley, about an hour each way. I had 25 mph tail winds on the way up and almost 35 mph head winds on the way back. Picked up fuel at Greeley, a good thing because of the headwinds I wouldn't of made it back :eeeeek:

Brought the "good" camera today - enjoy!

Attachments

• Tow 4 at Greeley.jpg
    Tow 4 at Greeley.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Broncos.jpg
    Broncos.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Denver.jpg
    Denver.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Palmer Divide 2.jpg
    Palmer Divide 2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Palmer Divide.jpg
    Palmer Divide.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 94
  • Black Forest.jpg
    Black Forest.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Mounument Hill.jpg
    Mounument Hill.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 83
  • ACADEMY 1.jpg
    ACADEMY 1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 101
  • KAFF 1.jpg
    KAFF 1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 102
  • KAFF 2.jpg
    KAFF 2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Joecub 1.jpg
    Joecub 1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 203
Thanks Gnomey!

Here's a narrative of the pictures;

The first two are the "Palmer Divide," A high plain just north of Colorado Springs.

The 3rd pic is obviously Denver - one of the few cities where you could almost fly over the downtown area without clearance.

The 4th pic is Invesco Field, home of the "mediocre, maybe will make the wild card playoff berth" Denver Broncos.

The 5th picture was at Greeley - cold as hell but clear. That was the first landing I ever made on a snow covered runway in a taildragger. A little unnerving but everything worked out because the winds were calm.

The 6th picture was on the way back, just south of Palmer Divide over a wooded area known as Black Forest. I was picking up about a 25 mph head wind there.

The 7th picture is a place known as Monument Hill, 7000' above sea level. In the distance you could see faintly the Academy nestled at the base of the mountains.

8th photo - getting closer

pics 9 10 was a 10 mile straight in final into KAFF - by that time I only had a 15 mph head wind.

Pic 11 - well, I think you guys know that ugly mug!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back