New Orleans Air Sea and Land Festival 2018

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Schweik

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
This little event, which started out as just a static display of a few warbirds, has gradually morphed into a full fledged airshow. This year for the first time I brought a nice camera and got some decent photos. There were several interesting Warbirds flying this year including a P-63 Kingcobra, a couple of P-51 Mustangs, an FG-1 Corsair, an FM-2 Wildcat, an SBD Dauntless, a navalized B-25 bomber, an A-26 bomber / attack plane, a B-17, a B-29 (Fifi), a C-47, a very pretty C-45 / Beechcraft 18, a Steerman and several AT-6 Harvard / Texans.

These are all photos I took of planes on the ground:

DSC_0034.JPG

P-63 KingCobra dressed as a NACA test aircraft

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0423.JPG

One of the P-51s
DSC_0077.JPG

Beautiful Beechcraft 18 / C-45 next to a T-6

DSC_0186.JPG
DSC_0380.JPG

Fm-2 Wildcat (note the padded headrest is a leopard print!)

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG

FG-1 Corsair

It's a Nikon, i just got it, not certain the precise model but I can find out later. Not a super expensive one, it's from COSTCO. It came with two lenses one about 4" and one about 7" long (this is my completely non technical description) and I used both. I think I may have had it on the wrong setting which contributed to the darkness of some of the photos.

Been kind of getting into photography for a while but just with my phone, my wife got me the camera as a birthday present. So I'm just figuring it out, first steps on the leaning curve so to speak...

The only reason it is a little dark is that you had to be shooting into the sun. Spectators have no choice at an airshow. One of the other members told me his cameras were inexpensive and his camera yet his shots in museums were excelloent. Keep up the good work.

The only reason it is a little dark is that you had to be shooting into the sun. Spectators have no choice at an airshow. One of the other members told me his cameras were inexpensive and his camera yet his shots in museums were excelloent. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

At this one you can actually try to watch from a few different vantages, some of my friends were outside the show watching from near the old Art Deco airport building.

This thing seems to get better every year and always has a slightly different mix of planes.

When I had my first manual camera many years ago to get over the problem of always getting dark photos of the aircraft I did the following.
Step 1 set the shutter speed to what I wanted normally 1/250 (I think)
Step 2 focus the camera on the grass at the other side of the airfield.
Step 3 set the exposure so if I took a photo I would get a nice photo of the grass
Step 4 don't touch the exposure settings for the rest of the day. Only the zoom and focus.
It normally worked for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back