New to this forum. Can anyone Identify this Compass

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mrrcp

Recruit
Oct 10, 2007
Hi; I'm new to this forum. I'm a pilot myself but I haven't flown for quite a few years and I miss it. Can anyone identify this compass? I think it came off of a military aircraft but I'm not really sure. I don't think it's from a ship. It's old and made of brass underneath the black paint. Their is only one marking on the top that a young guy told me said Mazda, 12V. I can't read it so I'm taking his word for it. If you have any information, let me know. Thanks! I'll try and upload a couple of photo's.

Attachments

• 181a.jpg
    181a.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 181b.jpg
    181b.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 173
MRRCP: Welcome to the forum. I work for Mazda, and to the best of my
knowledge Mazda doesn't put compasses in autos. You can buy an after-
market compass, but it doesn't look like that. Sorry....

Charles

Hi Mrrcp,

>If you have any information, let me know. Thanks! I'll try and upload a couple of photo's.

I've just had a look at a 1930's book on air navigation, and it seems that the compasses of the day usually had a mechanism to rotate the scale to the desired heading, where it would be clamped down to fix the position of auxiliary markings which signalled the desired position of the compass needle.

As long as the compass needle was between these auxiliary markings, the airplane would be on the pre-selected course.

Does that sound like the compass you have? From the photographs you posted, I can't make out all of the details, and I'm confused about the function of the silver-metallic part ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

From the photographs you posted, I can't make out all of the details, and I'm confused about the function of the silver-metallic part ...
Regards,Henning (HoHun)

If I'm not mistaken the silver cylinder at the back of the compass is the electrical connector for the light in the compass. See the tube running from the silver cylinder to the top front? The light bulb housing is that forward termination point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back