New York Museums -Rhinebeck Aerodrome - Rhinebeck NY ( North of NYC ) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kyushuj7w

Airman 1st Class
I can't say enough about this place. There is something about seeing these aircraft up close and taking off. Rhinebeck New York is on the Hudson river between NYC and Albany. Cole Palen, grew up next to a great 1930's Hudson Valley airport dreaming that he would own and fly the machines he saw overhead and spent the rest of his life bringing the vision alive. Starting with six derelict WWI planes, Cole made the Aerodrome into America's first flying museum of antique aircraft and replicas, achieving worldwide fame. He has passed away but his museum and air show lives on. You can go up in the old open cockpit mail plane if you get in line fast enough to get ticket. I hope the others can keep it going and the aircraft do not end up in some microsofts exc's private collection.

The Museum & Air Show closes down on October 31st. The Museum opens on May 1 and airshows resume in June . A museum and flying show every Saturday and Sunday. Some goofy skits but cute for the kids and an air battle depending on what day you choose to attend. If you overnight you can easily get to the New England Air Museum the next day about 75 miles away and then you are close to so many other attractions like Boston Navy yard., Battleship Mass at Battleship cove, the US submarine museum in CT, The carrier Intrepid etc. If you have a week it makes a great road trip as its all so close by

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10139 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10100 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10101 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10104 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10115 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10002 (1).jpg

My son Ty and I walking around the hangers. You can get pretty close and something is always being worked on.

Rheinbeck01-1 (1).jpg

Rheinbeck13 (1).jpg

My friend Bill who has some really nice camera equipment took most of the photos.

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10158.jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10147 (2).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10005 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10037 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10081 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10032 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10128 (1).jpg

RheinbeckAirShow2010_10_10130 (1).jpg

They are a living, working airfield and Museum operating in an authentic setting. Bring your camera–there is no other aviation Museum quite like the Aerodrome. Weekdays there is no scheduled flying but you may see test flights and our mechanics doing maintenance. And, we're always happy to talk with you. On airshow weekends activity starts at around 10 AM with shows starting at 2 PM lasting until around 4 PM. Benches are provided for viewing the shows, our climate controlled Visitor Center and Gift Shop is open, as is the snack stand and picnic area. Family friendly restroom facilities are available with changing tables.​

Last edited:
I can't say enough about this place. There is something about seeing these aircraft up close and taking off. Rhinebeck New York is on the Hudson river between NYC and Albany. Cole Palen, grew up next to a great 1930's Hudson Valley airport dreaming that he would own and fly the machines he saw overhead and spent the rest of his life bringing the vision alive. Starting with six derelict WWI planes, Cole made the Aerodrome into America's first flying museum of antique aircraft and replicas, achieving worldwide fame. He has passed away but his museum and air show lives on. You can go up in the old open cockpit mail plane if you get in line fast enough to get ticket. I hope the others can keep it going and the aircraft do not end up in some microsofts exc's private collection.

The Museum & Air Show closes down on October 31st. The Museum opens on May 1 and airshows resume in June . A museum and flying show every Saturday and Sunday. Some goofy skits but cute for the kids and an air battle depending on what day you choose to attend. If you overnight you can easily get to the New England Air Museum the next day about 75 miles away and then you are close to so many other attractions like Boston Navy yard., Battleship Mass at Battleship cove, the US submarine museum in CT, The carrier Intrepid etc. If you have a week it makes a great road trip as its all so close by

View attachment 634939

View attachment 634946
View attachment 634947
View attachment 634948
View attachment 634949
View attachment 634941

My son Ty and I walking around the hangers. You can get pretty close and something is always beinig worked on.

View attachment 634935
View attachment 634936
My friend Bill who has some really nice camera equipment took most of the photos.

View attachment 634937
View attachment 634940

View attachment 634942
View attachment 634943
View attachment 634944

View attachment 634945

View attachment 634950
View attachment 634951

They are a living, working airfield and Museum operating in an authentic setting. Bring your camera–there is no other aviation Museum quite like the Aerodrome. Weekdays there is no scheduled flying but you may see test flights and our mechanics doing maintenance. And, we're always happy to talk with you. On airshow weekends activity starts at around 10 AM with shows starting at 2 PM lasting until around 4 PM. Benches are provided for viewing the shows, our climate controlled Visitor Center and Gift Shop is open, as is the snack stand and picnic area. Family friendly restroom facilities are available with changing tables.​
I've been there. Even though it was an off day, it was great looking at those planes. One cool old 'bipe was flying around. The hangar walls are festooned with beautiful aviation kitsch. It's a lovely little airdrome in a beautiful setting. Great day.

I've been there when the planes were flying (very cool!) and and once during the week, when they were not. The latter visit was somewhat disappointing, not because of the content of the exhibitions, but because of the facility in which they were being kept: it was humid, hot, and just about completely unsecured. My daughter was working on a graduate degree in art history and conservation, and she was dismayed that these complex, near-unique, wood and fabric artifacts were being kept in these conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back