Nice Diary for B-29 Technician

Peter Gunn

Master Sergeant
2,734
4,390
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Location
Clearwater, Florida
Found this on 315th Bomb Wing (VH) and Northwest Field, Guam, WWII as I was poking around the other day and hit on this mans memoirs, it's a nice vignette into the day to day of his experiences in the final months of the war in the Pacific.

Memoirs of Herb Bach, Tech Rep, Northwest Field, Guam, WWII

I enjoy that kind of stuff, it gives you a real feel for what it was like at that time and place. Bit of a long read but in my opinion, worth it.
 
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Best personal account of the B-29 raids I have read is the book "Friendly Monster." The name comes from the radio call sign used by B-29's transiting USN-controlled areas enroute to Saipan. It was surprising but perfectly logical to see that it took considerable work by the flight crew to get a new B-29's systems all tuned up and working properly.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back