nice P-50 skyrocket photo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
nice P-50 skyrocket photo

Attachments

• f5f_skyrock.jpg
    f5f_skyrock.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 414
Comiso do the colours look "fake" or heavily retouched? Or is it simply the quality of the original photo?

It would seem to me the blind spot caused by the wings and engines would be too extreme for this to be functional.

Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of this type of design with the leading wing so far forward?

It would seem to me the blind spot caused by the wings and engines would be too extreme for this to be functional.

Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of this type of design with the leading wing so far forward?

If i had to take a guess i'd say its ability to climb would suck. All thought it could be the opposite. im just taking a wild guess here by the looks of the design. It looks like it can dive very well but on the climb it would be really bad

If i had to guess I wuold say the original was B&W... Its not fake though.

As to the design... I believe that it is because the fuselage is so short that the wing has to mounted forward for the propellers to clear the nose and I don't think they could have messed with the dimensions to much.
That is the XF5F version but the P-50 version had a lenghtened nose.
Grumman_XP-50.jpg

If i had to take a guess i'd say its ability to climb would suck. All thought it could be the opposite. im just taking a wild guess here by the looks of the design. It looks like it can dive very well but on the climb it would be really bad

Grumman named it Skyrocket as it displayed during testing an impressive initial climb rate of 4,000ft per minute.

And you're right, during one dive test it reached 485mph.

As to the design... I believe that it is because the fuselage is so short that the wing has to mounted forward for the propellers to clear the nose and I don't think they could have messed with the dimensions to much.

According to Jones (U.S Naval Fighters), the extremely short nose facilitated carrier landings by having an almost unobstructed forward/downward view. But as Thor pointed out, the large engine nacelles blocked the pilot's view of the deck landing officer. This was one reason why Grumman abandoned further development of the Skyrocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back