Non-USN single engine night fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From the start the USN used TBMs equipped with the APS-4 radar (underwing pod ) as a fighter-controller to guide radar-equipped F6Fs and U4Us to near the target aircraft where the fighter could get a good picture on his radar set (APS-6, a simplified APS-4).

This led to the later development of AEW Avengers/Guardians/Skyraiders/Tracers/Hawkeyes.

TBM with APS-4 ( https://www.aef.se/Avionik/PDF-filer/PS18_USN_APS-4_Tactical_use.pdf ):

View attachment 767007

AN/APS-4 without external housing:

View attachment 767012

TBM with APS-3 navigation/night bombing radar ( https://www.aef.se/Avionik/PDF-filer/PS19_USN_APS-3.pdf ):

View attachment 767013

With added searchlight and rockets:

View attachment 767014
Great photos. Love the vacuum tubes. APS-4 was also used for anti sub/shipping. the bottom photo looks like the Avenger also has a Light, like the Leigh Light.

Great photos. Love the vacuum tubes. APS-4 was also used for anti sub/shipping. the bottom photo looks like the Avenger also has a Light, like the Leigh Light.
The Italians used the Re 2001 as a night fighter. I do not know to what extent they were modified, or if they had any success. While they probably didn't get radar, they may have made the pilots eat tomato's to improve their night vision.

I'm aware of the RAF investigating fitting radar to a Hawker Typhoon to make a single seat, single engine night fighter, and some Hurricanes were converted for such a role in the CBI. But were there other known successful conversions of single seat, single engine fighters to being night/all-weather fighters? I also know of the P-51D Mustang that was converted into a two seat night/all-weather interceptor, though I have no idea how well it worked (photos of it are at IWM's site), and some trainer versions of P-38s were converted into P-38M night fighters. The conversion as far as I know worked well, but there was little for them to shoot down in 1945 when it was introduced (the P-51 night fighter conversion was also from 1945).
The Hurricane was used as a night fighter and as an intruder night fighter, flying offensive operations over France:

The Reggiane Re.2001 CN was fitted with two additional MGs under the wings in gondolas (one MG each) and no other equipment beyond the Mk.I eyeball.

The Luftwaffe also had the Fw190A-5/R11, which was equipped with the Neptun FuG217 system.

As for the Japanese, they had a number of NF types, both twins and single engine types.
The SE fighters were types like the D4Y2-S and D4Y3-S with "Schragmusik".
J1N1-S and J1N1-Sa also equipped with "Schragmusik".
The C6N1-S was fitted with "Schragmusik" as well.
None of these IJN SE night fighters were equipped with radar equipment, though several Navy and Army twins were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back