North American A-27

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What books would that be then?
Harvard! The North American Trainers in Canada...with David C Fletcher....long out of print but shows up on ebay
Triple Crown BT-9 - ASJA/SAAB Sk 14....with Mikael Ostberg...(still available)
The North American NA-16 Combat Variants....with Amaru Tincopa....should be available late spring

Thanks Doug.

I found the first one readily available through Bookfinder but much cheaper on Amazon - top priced bookfinder used copy was $141. Could find no trace of Triple crown on either site and bought the new one with Amazon promising delivery by 29th - which means I could have them next week (Amazon always show very slow delivery from US to Australia because it can, and often does, take international parcels up to 12 days to travel the 1,200km from Sydney to here)
1646770751309.png

Thanks Doug.

I found the first one readily available through Bookfinder but much cheaper on Amazon - top priced bookfinder used copy was $141. Could find no trace of Triple crown on either site and bought the new one with Amazon promising delivery by 29th - which means I could have them next week (Amazon always show very slow delivery from US to Australia because it can, and often does, take international parcels up to 12 days to travel the 1,200km from Sydney to here)
View attachment 660606
I can ship a copy of Triple Crown from Canada, but the postal cost might be nasty. I must admit, I haven't looked lately. I will find out tomorrow.

Yeah - the Canadian postal system is screwed - I was quoted $75 to send a magazine.

I sometimes dealt with a BC bookshop owner who does trips down to Washington just so he can ship goods at a reasonable price.
I will see if he is still in business post covid.

Yeah - the Canadian postal system is screwed - I was quoted $75 to send a magazine.

I sometimes dealt with a BC bookshop owner who does trips down to Washington just so he can ship goods at a reasonable price.
I will see if he is still in business post covid.
I just checked witth the local Canada Post and, depending on whether you want the book to arrive this year or next, it will cost from CAD $22 to $107. The book would cost you AUD $25. Thank you, Canada Post, for putting the publishing industry out of business.

NA-44, 69 and 72, 1 to the RCAF in 1940, 30 to Brazil in 1940, 10 ex Thai order to USAAF in 1940.

The P-40E was the USAAF model, acceptances June 1941 to January 1942, plus 1 in April 1942, 820 built. The P-40E-1 was the model meant for Britain, acceptances began in December 1941, too late for export to the Philippines. While Britain uses the imperial measurements system, there were 131 P-40E exported to the USSR which did use the metric system, acceptances started in October 1941, but exports began in December 1941, again too late to make the Philippines.

According to the USAAF Official History, P-26 present in 1939, 48 P-35 from the Swedish order were sent to the Philippines in November 1940, in April 1941 31 P-40B were sent, 28 P-40B and 50 P-40E were to be shipped in September 1941, as of 8 December 1941 local time 2 P-40E (3rd and 17th) and 1 P-40B (20th) squadrons, each with 18 aircraft. On 7 December the 21st received 18 "hastily assembled" P-40E.

Attached is a document by the AAF from my files written June 3, 1941 listing the A-27's stationed at the time in the PI.

Another interesting note on these aircraft is that the camouflage colors used were from stocks of Del Monte paints already in the PI, NOT any AAF colors.

Enjoy!

Respectfully submitted,

AlanG
Untitled-2.jpg

Good one Alan

Del Monte was one of the airfields in the Philippines and was on one of the Del Monte pineapple farms so "stocks of Del Monte paints already in the PI" could mean either US Army paints in stock at that airfield or paints belonging to the pineapple farm (or even the latter eyeball mixed to close to USAAF colors). Any idea which possibility is most likely to be correct?

If my memory of Doomed at the Start is correct Del Monte was a bomber base so they would likely have had a stock of USAAF paints on hand though maybe those were only kept at Clark Field.

MiTasol, according my fellow research friends the paints were actual Del Monte paints, not AAF. Of course, given the tensions of the time it is hard to find definitive information - yet. The dark green was identified as "Del Monte Green", but it is also possible the paints were mixes. However, I'm going to trust my sources.

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back