Nose weights

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A lot of the times I use silicone calk to secure the lead weight. It's a little messy, but peels off easily when dry and does not adversely affect the plastic .

i recently built a Do 335 Arrow by Revell. much to my surprise they included a piece of plastic to be glued to the tail to keep it from tailsitting. i went to a science supply house and bought pure lead strips which are used as electrodes in chemistry. they also sell lead foil which can easily be shaped and molded.
the tungsten putty is an excellent idea but almost $8 per oz. around here

Those lead strips and foil sound the business Mike!

Glenn, do you mean the silicon you get in tubes, and apply with a silicon gun (or whatever they're called)? These were great fun when playing soldiers as a kid, look just like a Sten gun! :)

Glenn, do you mean the silicon you get in tubes, and apply with a silicon gun (or whatever they're called)? These were great fun when playing soldiers as a kid, look just like a Sten gun! :)

Yea, the same stuff you use to seal around tubs and windows. A big caulk gun would be a bit awkward though. You can get it in small tubes with a pointed applicator which makes it easer to use, but not as useful as a Sten gun.:lol:
I use the black silicone rather then the clear, that way if it gets somewhere you don't want it you'll be able to see it. Just rub it with your finger and it comes right off.

This brings back memories of my one year in cub scouts. I won the whole pine wood derby with a car that was SO OBVIOUSLY not made by a kid my age! My Dad kind of took it upon himself to make it and boy it looked the part! I still have it and the trophy 30+ years on... :lol:

Hahaha thats so funny you say that my dad did the exact same thing! He would get really into it amd we won several trophies! I remember one year we ran out out time so we borrowed one of the cars my uncle built and "modified" it. As for nose weights, i just use soft lead fishing weights. In order to fit many into a cramped space in the nose, I just mash them together with a vice or a hammer.

when i had my autoparts store i sold stick on wheel weights so the fancy aluminum wheels wouldnt get screwed up by the clasp on normal style weights. we also used these in pinewood derby cars. the weights came in a strip and was segmented in 1/4 ounce increments on a 3 ounce stick and had a foam tape on the back. i found them online or you can probably go to any auto supply or speed shop.

Stick-on Wheel Weights JBRC200624

Users who are viewing this thread

Back