Not A Good Thing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
PORTSMOUTH. A Chesapeake man riding a motor scooter was killed in a crash early Sunday morning in Portsmouth when he ran a red light, Portsmouth police said.

Police identified him as James William Warren, 72, of the 2800 block of Southport Avenue.

The crash happened at 5:05 a.m. at the intersection of Victory Boulevard and George Washington Highway, a police statement said.

Warren ran through a red light at the intersection and collided with a pickup truck, police said. The driver of the pickup, who was not identified, was not hurt, police said.

The truck's driver will not be charged, said Ann Hope, a police spokeswoman.

This from The Virginian-Pilot

Some people on scooters, mopeds, and even bicycles don't believe in obeying the traffic laws and signs.

Charles

One trip over the handlebars of my Motorcycle was enough for me. I'll stick to my big old truck!!! Be safe, keep an eye out for those that don't pay attention.
One pointer I can give anyone that rides a scooter or motorcyle is to pay particular attention to people making a left turn or you making a left turn, anything involving left turns or people to your left at intersections.
I read a motorcycle accident study once several years ago and the mojority of motorcyle accident involve someone either turhning left or coming form your left hand side, or you on the other vehicles left side.
I made not fo this and have watched it over many years and it is true. They can get you from any direction though.
Ride safe.

That's why I gave up my motorcycle almost 30 years ago. I do still ride my bicycle quite a bit, though.

Long time ago, I learned to watch drivers' eyes when I was pedalling down a street and they were coming up to an intersecting stop sign. Many times, I've seen that the drivers look right through me. If I wave or swerve, they'll suddenly jump as they realize that I'm there.

My guess is that they're looking for cars and trucks. Bikes (including motorbikes) simply don't fit that filter, so they aren't seen.

CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back