Ag Cat is a biplane more akin to a Stearman or N3N. Sorry I'm late to the party.
Really great pictures Grant. I've only been to Reno twice. The first time in '84 my buddy who lived in Carson City, had a friend that was a paramedic in Reno. He gave my son and I go anywhere do anything wrist bands. Being airshow junkies, we were there 12 hours. The second time in '86, I was there on a Press Pass shooting video for my production company. It was the climax event of the air show season, having shot 6 shows starting at Shafter, Madera, Merced, Stockton, Rancho Murietta and Reno. I got to Reno on Wednesday, and stated shooting Thursday morning, I was rack focusing the front of a Sea Fury, emulating the sunrise through the prop, when I realized I burned a tube out of my 3-tube camera. I had to pack up my gear and head home 300 miles to get my back up rig (rookie), stopping off in Sac to drop of my primary camera at the techs. The next 3 days the weather was really crappy for any good photo work, especially after 10. But I was able to salvage some decent footage of the T6s. I shot out at the pylon, can't recall the number, the last one before the straight. As you say it's tough to get the close shot at the pylon. What I did was follow focus the birds inbound, widening the shot until the pylon was in view, then let the fly out. The next lap I would catch them coming into view going away (not following), coming into view over my shoulder. Then in post I edited the sound to carry the shot. I also used other footage of Lefty Gardner's P38. At Madera I had a camera mounted over his left shoulder pointing forward one day, then aft the next. At Reno I got a great shot of him approaching the pylon in a bank and edited that all together as part of my demo reel, combined with Carlos Santana in the City (SF) at Carnival. Got me a few gigs. Sad to see Reno end but glad I was there, PAX