Nuuumannn's quick trip to Reno!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Gidday everyone. This year I decided to make the trek to the final Reno Air Races as I felt that as a true aviation enthusiast, I couldn't live with myself if I had not been to the Reno Air Races at least once. The air races are that much of an institution and I felt very privileged to have been able to make it to the Final Flag, as it was coined. Despite the brevity of my trip, it was a journey of a lifetime and I am so glad I did it. My trip was short, over and done with in less than two weeks, with only five nights and six days in the USA. I also spent a wee bit of time doing some exploring in Auckland, New Zealand's largest city, which has some great museums, two of which I visited to warm up my photo chops. So, come with me, folks, on my wee journey across the world to the very last Reno Air Races through the lens of my camera!

We begin in Auckland with a quick trip to the World Famous (in New Zealand) Museum of Transport and Technology, or MoTaT, which has a unique collection of aircraft in its aviation hall, named the Sir Keith Park Memorial Airfield, even though it isn't set on an airfield. Nevertheless, the nod to one of New Zealand's most notable military leaders is worthy because of the scale of the collection. MoTaT has a long history and the collection of aircraft began in the mid-1960s at the nominal museum site in Western Springs, near the Auckland Zoo and Western Springs stadium, where, as a young fella I went to my first ever stadium rock concert, Pink Floyd, of course...

Anyway, back to the museum. MoTaT officially opened to the public in 1964, comprising a collection of trams, steam trains, a Tiger Moth and an Avro Lancaster (!) on the site of an old disused water pumping station with a unique surviving beam engine. The Lancaster was one of the last of the type to be in operation and was in service with the Aeronavale based in New Caledonia. In 1964 the last three operational Lancasters were retired, one went to Australia, one to New Zealand, and one to the UK. Thankfully, these aircraft survive today. We'll see the Lancaster soon. Uniquely, the Gemini 12 capsule that Jim Lovell and Buzz Aldrin went into space in 1966 was on display at MoTaT for years but has been returned to the USA and is now in Chicago.

In the late 1960s, the museum acquired a scrap of vacant land that had been formerly used as a rubbish tip on Meola Road, next to an estuary, which is handy because it was a useful way of moving an engineless flying boat from its former location at Hobsonville, an RNZAF flying boat base to the new site. This place was named the Sir Keith Park Memorial Airfield and back during its early days the aircraft sat outdoors, often open to the elements and vandals. As a kid, I remember going to the Meola Road site to clamber aboard the aircraft, which was an immense thrill. At this stage the collection was diverse and somewhat aimless, including a derelict P-39 and a P-47, both of which have long since departed for lives elsewhere. Soon enough, funds were raised for a shelter for the aircraft and a more locally-centric collection policy was adopted. Today, MoTaT 2 as the museum calls it is one of the largest and most diverse collections of museum aircraft in the country, with many notable survivors.

Although I have been to the museum recently, I wanted to practise my low-light photography, as the lighting is often at ridiculously low levels at MoTaT and on this visit, for some reason it was at lower levels than previous visits. This is evident in some of the images, where individual spot lighting highlights just how dark the surroundings are. Anyway, we begin with a bitsa P-40E. This aircraft is decorated as RNZAF P-40E NZ3039 but has a wing from a P-40N and bits from other airframes. The museum acquired it to replace surviving P-40E NZ3009, which was restored to flying condition as ZK-RMH and is stored at Masterton awaiting its fate following a messy business regarding one of filmmaker Peter Jackson's former associates who is in prison for fraud.

53210984307_9316bf91a1_b.jpg
_ADP5012

Next is Grumman TBF-1C Avenger NZ2527. This aircraft served with the RNZAF during WW2 and was one of several ex-air force airframes that ended up in playgrounds at different locations around the country. It had to wait until 2013 before a comprehensive restoration. In front is an example of the US Mark 13 torpedo, a device that would bring so much calamity to the US Navy - with apologies to H.G. Wells...

53212378595_5e2d2ea537_b.jpg
_ADP5011

Next is a significant wartime survivor, Lockheed Hudson NZ2301 was based in my hometown at RNZAF Base Nelson with No.1 General Reconnaissance Squadron before heading to Espiritu Santo as a transport. Returning to New Zealand after the war, it was shipped from place to place and underwent a restoration to complete condition in the 1980s by one of MoTaT's leading lights, Barry East.

53212251679_1524135898_b.jpg
_ADP5017

Who doesn't love the de Havilland Mosquito? This example is Australian-built T.43 trainer A52-1053 that was transferred to the RNZAF as NZ2305 in 1946. In the 1990s the wing was restored by the RNZAF Museum in Christchurch in exchange for the previously mentioned P-47 and the aircraft is now complete again, having sat about in a dismantled state for years.

53210984272_eef6174c4c_b.jpg
_ADP5019

Another de Havilland product, Vampire FB.9 WR202 is unique among New Zealand Vampires as it is an ex-RAF example sequestered to No.14 Sqn, RNZAF based in Singapore. It was sent to New Zealand as an instructional airframe with the RNZAF as INST171 before becoming a part of the museum.

53212378535_5901ac57a3_b.jpg
_ADP5022

An example of the last combat aircraft in RNZAF service, A-4K Skyhawk NZ6206. This aircraft was one of the original RNZAF order of A-4s, serving with 75 Sqn, then 2 Sqn before the disbandment of the Strike Wing in 2001. It sat for some years in storage at RNZAF Base Woodbourne before being allocated to MoTaT in 2011.

53211865011_779debaf1a_b.jpg
_ADP5023

One of the jewels in the crown of the collection is Short Sunderland MR.5 NZ4115, which was dragged from Hobsonville across the Waitemata Harbour to the Meola Road site in 1967 following the retirement of the type in RNZAF service, the last operators of the venerable 'boat. It has sat outside for years and has undergone a lengthy and comprehensive restoration by a dedicated band of volunteers, so, seeing it indoors and looking immaculate is most welcome.

53212378530_2467a44d71_b.jpg
_ADP5027

This next aircraft is an AESL Airtourer, a type originally conceived in Australia as the Victa Airtourer, but put into production by Aero Engine Services Ltd in Hamilton. In this aircraft, ZK-CXU, former RNZAF radio mechanic Cliff Tait circumnavigated the world in 1969.

53212251649_bfe8224315_b.jpg
_ADP5028

DH.89 Dragon Rapide, or Dominie as the type is called in New Zealand, the Dominie name originating from the RAF use of the aircraft. This aircraft, ZK-AHS was imported to New Zealand in 1938 and was based in Nelson with Cook Strait Airways before being impressed into RNZAF service during the war. It is one of the earliest surviving airliners in New Zealand.

53211864946_812dc25e69_b.jpg
_ADP5029

This neat little Miles Gemini, ZK-ANT was imported to New Zealand in 1947 and flew with the Wellington Aero Club before being donated to the museum in 1964.

53212378485_34cb77bb3d_b.jpg
_ADP5030

New Zealand has a tradition of operating Lockheed twins and within the collection are two Model 10 Electras, including this one, ZK-BUT decorated as ZK-AFD, which, confusingly the museum has the fuselage of. The museum also has the Hudson previously seen, an L-18 Lodestar, and a B-34 Lexington/Ventura. This particular Electra didn't arrive in New Zealand until 1958, but it wears the markings of an aircraft that operated with Union Airways from 1937.

53211864886_5164516cda_b.jpg
_ADP5037

A bizarre product that originated from a conglomeration of T-6 Harvard bits built in New Zealand, this is a Transavia Air Truk topdresser built in Australia and superficially resembles the original Bennett Air Truck. Note the differing spelling, because the original Bennett product was named the Air Truck, the Australian aircraft was named the Air Truk! Despite its odd twin-boom configuration, it was a success in its intended role.

53212446399_c539bd7c5a_b.jpg
_ADP5035

A rather large relief of the man himself, Sir Keith Park, to whom the museum site is dedicated. Park looms large over the museum, literally, as this statue is the same as one located in the UK at the former RAF Uxbridge 11 Group Operations bunker.

53212172528_1713aa4b82_b.jpg
_ADP5033

Finally for today, an Australian topdresser also based on a North American trainer, or at least the Australian licence-built variant the Wirraway, this is a Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation Ceres. Note that its sides were fabric covered, as opposed to the all-metal construction of the T-6/Harvard, which was also evident on the Wirraway. ZK-BPU's wings are in store at the museum.

53211864921_504220177d_b.jpg
_ADP5034

That's it for now. Next time, more from MoTaT and a unique amphibious car...

Thanks for the visit. My first daughter and husband have visited N.Z. four times because they love the country, but have not as yet visited or photographed any of the aviation museums per my request. I have seen much of the cities and countryside. They still are completely convinced by the Quantas propaganda of never having a crash or accident.

Gidday everyone. This year I decided to make the trek to the final Reno Air Races as I felt that as a true aviation enthusiast, I couldn't live with myself if I had not been to the Reno Air Races at least once. The air races are that much of an institution and I felt very privileged to have been able to make it to the Final Flag, as it was coined. Despite the brevity of my trip, it was a journey of a lifetime and I am so glad I did it. My trip was short, over and done with in less than two weeks, with only five nights and six days in the USA. I also spent a wee bit of time doing some exploring in Auckland, New Zealand's largest city, which has some great museums, two of which I visited to warm up my photo chops. So, come with me, folks, on my wee journey across the world to the very last Reno Air Races through the lens of my camera!

We begin in Auckland with a quick trip to the World Famous (in New Zealand) Museum of Transport and Technology, or MoTaT, which has a unique collection of aircraft in its aviation hall, named the Sir Keith Park Memorial Airfield, even though it isn't set on an airfield. Nevertheless, the nod to one of New Zealand's most notable military leaders is worthy because of the scale of the collection. MoTaT has a long history and the collection of aircraft began in the mid-1960s at the nominal museum site in Western Springs, near the Auckland Zoo and Western Springs stadium, where, as a young fella I went to my first ever stadium rock concert, Pink Floyd, of course...

Anyway, back to the museum. MoTaT officially opened to the public in 1964, comprising a collection of trams, steam trains, a Tiger Moth and an Avro Lancaster (!) on the site of an old disused water pumping station with a unique surviving beam engine. The Lancaster was one of the last of the type to be in operation and was in service with the Aeronavale based in New Caledonia. In 1964 the last three operational Lancasters were retired, one went to Australia, one to New Zealand, and one to the UK. Thankfully, these aircraft survive today. We'll see the Lancaster soon. Uniquely, the Gemini 12 capsule that Jim Lovell and Buzz Aldrin went into space in 1966 was on display at MoTaT for years but has been returned to the USA and is now in Chicago.

In the late 1960s, the museum acquired a scrap of vacant land that had been formerly used as a rubbish tip on Meola Road, next to an estuary, which is handy because it was a useful way of moving an engineless flying boat from its former location at Hobsonville, an RNZAF flying boat base to the new site. This place was named the Sir Keith Park Memorial Airfield and back during its early days the aircraft sat outdoors, often open to the elements and vandals. As a kid, I remember going to the Meola Road site to clamber aboard the aircraft, which was an immense thrill. At this stage the collection was diverse and somewhat aimless, including a derelict P-39 and a P-47, both of which have long since departed for lives elsewhere. Soon enough, funds were raised for a shelter for the aircraft and a more locally-centric collection policy was adopted. Today, MoTaT 2 as the museum calls it is one of the largest and most diverse collections of museum aircraft in the country, with many notable survivors.

Although I have been to the museum recently, I wanted to practise my low-light photography, as the lighting is often at ridiculously low levels at MoTaT and on this visit, for some reason it was at lower levels than previous visits. This is evident in some of the images, where individual spot lighting highlights just how dark the surroundings are. Anyway, we begin with a bitsa P-40E. This aircraft is decorated as RNZAF P-40E NZ3039 but has a wing from a P-40N and bits from other airframes. The museum acquired it to replace surviving P-40E NZ3009, which was restored to flying condition as ZK-RMH and is stored at Masterton awaiting its fate following a messy business regarding one of filmmaker Peter Jackson's former associates who is in prison for fraud.

View attachment 738568_ADP5012

Next is Grumman TBF-1C Avenger NZ2527. This aircraft served with the RNZAF during WW2 and was one of several ex-air force airframes that ended up in playgrounds at different locations around the country. It had to wait until 2013 before a comprehensive restoration. In front is an example of the US Mark 13 torpedo, a device that would bring so much calamity to the US Navy - with apologies to H.G. Wells...

View attachment 738569_ADP5011

Next is a significant wartime survivor, Lockheed Hudson NZ2301 was based in my hometown at RNZAF Base Nelson with No.1 General Reconnaissance Squadron before heading to Espiritu Santo as a transport. Returning to New Zealand after the war, it was shipped from place to place and underwent a restoration to complete condition in the 1980s by one of MoTaT's leading lights, Barry East.

View attachment 738570_ADP5017

Who doesn't love the de Havilland Mosquito? This example is Australian-built T.43 trainer A52-1053 that was transferred to the RNZAF as NZ2305 in 1946. In the 1990s the wing was restored by the RNZAF Museum in Christchurch in exchange for the previously mentioned P-47 and the aircraft is now complete again, having sat about in a dismantled state for years.

View attachment 738571_ADP5019

Another de Havilland product, Vampire FB.9 WR202 is unique among New Zealand Vampires as it is an ex-RAF example sequestered to No.14 Sqn, RNZAF based in Singapore. It was sent to New Zealand as an instructional airframe with the RNZAF as INST171 before becoming a part of the museum.

View attachment 738572_ADP5022

An example of the last combat aircraft in RNZAF service, A-4K Skyhawk NZ6206. This aircraft was one of the original RNZAF order of A-4s, serving with 75 Sqn, then 2 Sqn before the disbandment of the Strike Wing in 2001. It sat for some years in storage at RNZAF Base Woodbourne before being allocated to MoTaT in 2011.

View attachment 738573_ADP5023

One of the jewels in the crown of the collection is Short Sunderland MR.5 NZ4115, which was dragged from Hobsonville across the Waitemata Harbour to the Meola Road site in 1967 following the retirement of the type in RNZAF service, the last operators of the venerable 'boat. It has sat outside for years and has undergone a lengthy and comprehensive restoration by a dedicated band of volunteers, so, seeing it indoors and looking immaculate is most welcome.

View attachment 738574_ADP5027

This next aircraft is an AESL Airtourer, a type originally conceived in Australia as the Victa Airtourer, but put into production by Aero Engine Services Ltd in Hamilton. In this aircraft, ZK-CXU, former RNZAF radio mechanic Cliff Tait circumnavigated the world in 1969.

View attachment 738575_ADP5028

DH.89 Dragon Rapide, or Dominie as the type is called in New Zealand, the Dominie name originating from the RAF use of the aircraft. This aircraft, ZK-AHS was imported to New Zealand in 1938 and was based in Nelson with Cook Strait Airways before being impressed into RNZAF service during the war. It is one of the earliest surviving airliners in New Zealand.

View attachment 738576_ADP5029

This neat little Miles Gemini, ZK-ANT was imported to New Zealand in 1947 and flew with the Wellington Aero Club before being donated to the museum in 1964.

View attachment 738577_ADP5030

New Zealand has a tradition of operating Lockheed twins and within the collection are two Model 10 Electras, including this one, ZK-BUT decorated as ZK-AFD, which, confusingly the museum has the fuselage of. The museum also has the Hudson previously seen, an L-18 Lodestar, and a B-34 Lexington/Ventura. This particular Electra didn't arrive in New Zealand until 1958, but it wears the markings of an aircraft that operated with Union Airways from 1937.

View attachment 738578_ADP5037

A bizarre product that originated from a conglomeration of T-6 Harvard bits built in New Zealand, this is a Transavia Air Truk topdresser built in Australia and superficially resembles the original Bennett Air Truck. Note the differing spelling, because the original Bennett product was named the Air Truck, the Australian aircraft was named the Air Truk! Despite its odd twin-boom configuration, it was a success in its intended role.

View attachment 738579_ADP5035

A rather large relief of the man himself, Sir Keith Park, to whom the museum site is dedicated. Park looms large over the museum, literally, as this statue is the same as one located in the UK at the former RAF Uxbridge 11 Group Operations bunker.

View attachment 738580_ADP5033

Finally for today, an Australian topdresser also based on a North American trainer, or at least the Australian licence-built variant the Wirraway, this is a Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation Ceres. Note that its sides were fabric covered, as opposed to the all-metal construction of the T-6/Harvard, which was also evident on the Wirraway. ZK-BPU's wings are in store at the museum.

View attachment 738581_ADP5034

That's it for now. Next time, more from MoTaT and a unique amphibious car...
The last photo looks like an AgCat crop duster.

Thanks for following along, guys. Continuing on at MoTaT, we begin with the museum's other jewel, the Short Solent 4, formally operated by Tasman Empire Airways Ltd, the predecessor to Air New Zealand. A unique aircraft, it is one of only two Solents to survive, there is a Solent 3 at Oakland, California. This Solent, the only Mk.4 in existence, ZK-AMO flew the last flying boat service operated by TEAL in 1960, and it was laid up at Hobsonville, from where it was towed across the Waitemata Harbour to the Meola Road site via the estuary. Like the Sunderland, it sat outside for years but underwent a long-term restoration, which included refurbishing the interior. In doing so, the original pattern materials that TEAL had applied to its seats were sourced and the seats were recovered. Unique TEAL crockery and cutlery sit at tables dotted around the seating berths aboard the aircraft for that authentic feel.

53212172433_17da5b0fde_b.jpg
_ADP5047

53212172458_c779aba7c5_b.jpg
_ADP5046

A mixture of aircraft from l to r, Fletcher Fu-24 nose, Short Solent bow, Grunau Baby glider, Miles Magister, Lockheed Electra, de Havilland Fox Moth, Gere Sport, Miles Gemini, Short Sunderland wing, de Havilland Dragon Rapide, Tui Sport and a microlight of some sort...

53212172428_ba1afe4e75_b.jpg
_ADP5049

The New Zealand Aero Club trophy, featuring a Percival Gull, probably the Gull Six flown by New Zealand aviatrix Jean Batten, which we'll see soon.

53212251559_8d31959f5b_b.jpg
_ADP5048

The Sunderland from the balcony. MoTaT is the only place in the world where two big Short flying boats can be seen together.

53210984142_e4ca24d075_b.jpg
_ADP5051

53212378370_f5a6c9eeb8_b.jpg
_ADP5050

An overview of the original aircraft hall as completed in the mid-1980s, which was built around housing the Lancaster and the Solent indoors. The newer section dwarfs the original building and enables many more aircraft to be placed undercover.

53210984072_c1b228b081_b.jpg
_ADP5055

Next, Aermacchi MB-339CB NZ6466. This was ordered by the RNZAF to replace its venerable BAC Strikemasters, but the fleet was retired in 2001 with the disbandment of the RNZAF's Strike Wing. There was a hope that the fleet would be bought by Malaysia but that didn't happen and a number were allocated to museums around the country.

53210984057_3df91439bb_b.jpg
_ADP5056

Now, the Lancaster. NX655 was a Mk.VII that was modified to serve with the French Aeronavale, who operated a total of 58 Lancs, half Mk.Is and the other Mk.VIIs. All its aircraft were modified to the same maritime reconnaissance standard by Avro, the aircraft receiving two 50 cal armed rear turrets, a winch in the bomb bay, which exited through a small slot in each door, a US-made surface search radar and the removal of the mid-upper turret, the Nash & Thompson turret on the Mk.Is and a Martin turret in the Mk.VIIs. This was located further forward compared to the Nash & Thompson turret because it was heavier, but this aircraft has been modified back to a condition that closely resembles a wartime Bomber Command aircraft, although the twin 50 armed rear turret remains. A new scanner resembling the original H2S radar unit has also replaced the unit installed in the French aircraft.

53212172578_a6f56609fb_b.jpg
_ADP5014

When the Aeronavale retired its last Lancs in early 1964, NX655 was gifted to New Zealand by the French government "in memory of the many New Zealander crews who took part in the liberation of France in this type of aircraft". Flown to RNZAF Base Whenuapai to the north of Auckland, it was dismantled and taken by road to MoTaT's Western Springs site in May 1964. Its engines were regularly run, but the cost of maintaining four Merlins in a running condition became a bit much for the fledgling museum and it was moved to the Meola Road site in June 1976 to join the Sunderland and Solent outside. When the new building was built, the Lancaster was the first to be placed undercover, the steel beams being raised around the Lancaster sitting on the hangar's concrete pad.

53210984052_4ba811fb7d_b.jpg
_ADP5063

As a memorial to New Zealanders who served in Bomber Command, the aircraft wears the markings of two different aircraft. On the right-hand side, it wears the markings of ND752 AA*O of 75 (New Zealand) Sqn, RAF, and on the left-hand side it wears the markings of NE181 JN*M "The Captain's Fancy" also of 75 (New Zealand) Sqn. The original NE181 was one of only a few Lancasters that survived the war that reached the amazing milestone of flying over 100 operations during the war. Owing to its significance, it was allocated for preservation and shipping to New Zealand, but for some inexplicable reason, it was scrapped after the war's end.

53211864741_7a8ffa27f0_b.jpg
_ADP5065

Outside the hangar at MoTaT 2 is a mixed media construction reproduction of a Hawker Hurricane in the markings of Air Vice Marshal Keith Park's OK*1, in which he darted about 11 Group airfields in the summer of 1940. Originally, a wooden replica was acquired that had been built for the Battle of Britain film and that was placed up the pole for years. back in 2006 the replica was taken down and the model made, the replica then travelled south to Omaka in Blenheim, where it remains to this day, restored as an aircraft flown by a Blenheim-born fella James Hayter in 1940.

53212955167_66b1f5d13c_b.jpg
_DSC7271

Lastly for today, a car that looks a bit like a bog-standard Mazda MX-5 Miata, but on closer inspection is not what it seems. Note the three seats across the front and centrally located steering wheel, for example...

53212251449_a6fd4b86f9_b.jpg
_ADP5070

This is an example of the Gibbs Aquada, an amphibious car designed and built by former politician Alan Gibbs. Powered by a 2.5 L Rover Vee 6 engine, the Aquada was put into limited production in 2003 and demonstrated remarkable usability, being quite fast both on land and at sea. It was capable of 160 kph (99 mph) on land and 50 kph (33 mph, 27 kts) at sea. Sadly, it is no longer in production and there are none for sale, which is a shame.

53210984002_f5fc184af4_b.jpg
_ADP5071

That's it for today. Next, we arrive at LAX...

My flight to the USA was booked with United Airlines but as a Star Alliance member, UA codeshares with Air New Zealand between Auckland and the United States. I managed to secure a real good deal on flights and accommodation given that hotels in Reno were going to be booked out for the races. I got return flights to the USA, return flights to Reno, and five nights' accommodation for around 1,700 US dollars - 3,000 NZD. That was a bargain, so I took it, despite having to fly cattle class. To alleviate the fact that I'm 6 foot 3, I paid extra for emergency exit seats, which added an extra $300 NZD to the flights, but it was worth it being in the exit row as I had space to stretch out. On the way to LAX I had the row to myself, so I spread my crap out across the seats and made a comfy space for 12 hours!

Firstly, we look at a rather historic aircraft on display at Auckland Airport. This is Percival Gul Six G-ADPR, New Zealand-born aviatrix Jean Batten's aeroplane in which she flew, among others, three standout world record-breaking flights. In this aircraft, Batten flew the first solo southern transatlantic crossing, from Africa to Brazil, setting off from Dakar on 11 November 1935 and reaching Natal 13 and a quarter hours later. Batten had achieved the fastest crossing of the Atlantic by air. The next flight achieved in the Gull Six was a solo flight from England to New Zealand in 1936, achieving an absolute speed record between England and Australia, the feat taking five days and 21 hours. Departing England on 5 October 1936, Batten finally reached New Zealand on 16 October, achieving a record flight of eleven days, 45 minutes, a time between the two countries that remarkably stood for 44 years. A year later, Batten flew the Gull Six back to England from Australia, departing Darwin on 19 October 1937 and reaching Lympne, Kent in five days, 19 hours and 15 minutes. In doing so, Batten held the solo speed record between England and Australia and return - the first person to hold both. Although Batten had flown the fastest time between England and Australia, her return trip was four hours longer than the fastest from Australia to England, achieved by Cathcart-Jones and Waller in the de Havilland Comet Grosvenor House in 1934.

53216488440_43847c95ab_b.jpg
_ADP5076

Here is a biography of Batten:

During World War Two, G-ADPR was impressed into RAF service as AX866 but returned to civil ownership post-war. In 1961 it went to the Shuttleworth Trust at Old Warden, with whom it returned to flying trim with help from Hunting Aircraft in 1987. In 1990 it was shipped to New Zealand and was put on display in the international terminal at Auckland Airport for the 25th Anniversary of the opening of the airport at Mangere. Somewhat controversially, Shuttleworth sold it in 1995 and it went to New Zealand, where it was registered as ZK-DPR, although it retained its historic British registration on its flanks. In 1996, ownership of the aircraft was formally transferred to Auckland Airport Plc and on 4 November it was flown for the last time to mark the sixtieth anniversary of Batten's England to New Zealand flight. Piloting the aircraft was Cherie Marshall, who took off from Mangere but while over the harbour the engine began to run rough. Marshall declared a Mayday and returned to the airport for a safe landing. It soon went on display in the international terminal, originally above the duty-free hall through the security area, but it has since been located above the departures desks in the main entrance where it can be appreciated by everyone visiting the airport. There are peeps in Britain who were a bit sore about it leaving the UK and being displayed in an airport, but too bad, it's ours now! :D

53216488435_47cc83a2db_b.jpg
_ADP5077

Now, it's been a few years since I last passed through LAX, the last time was 2018 and wait times for processing of non-US citizens have improved dramatically. I passed through immigration with ease, the officer was not perturbed at all by my only visiting the USA for six days and let me go without hassle. I was expecting a barrage of questions about why and what for, but he seemed content with my reason for being there - the air races and asked for proof of return flight and accommodation, then asked how much money I had on me, then let me go with a cheery "Welcome to the United States"!

One thing I wanted to get photographs of while at LAX was this rather striking building. This is the blandly named Theme Building (why, exactly?) and is an architectural marvel. Here is some info from Wikipedia, saving me from regurgitating what someone else wrote.

53216611790_a1e7898b28_b.jpg
_ADP5088

Up close, it really does look like the spaceship it was designed to mimic having landed in the LAX car park...

53215228732_db413fb4fb_b.jpg
_ADP5084

53216494649_f823249027_b.jpg
_ADP5080

Since I had a few hours to waste between arriving and catching my flight to Reno Tahoe, I parked myself in the United Club Lounge situated in Terminal 7. This, I discovered, was a great spot to watch aircraft coming and going, so I spent a good couple of hours eating, drinking and photographing airliners! So as not to bore you folks who don't do this as a pass time, which I do, I'll limit the images to a few choice ones of some standout aircraft types. Excuse the blue tinge to the images, they are taken through double glazing.

Firstly, a general view from the lounge of the ramp. This is United country.

53215228677_56545ac459_b.jpg
_ADP5093

A MAX.

53215228562_83c070464e_b.jpg
_ADP5128

This caught my eye as I was sitting enjoying my bourbon & coke...

53215228637_b38a88041e_b.jpg
_ADP5112

It's the Goodyear Blimp!

53216494579_40340a33bc_b.jpg
_ADP5110-2

75s are kewl aircraft. United still has a bunch of them.

53215228582_f24f7af50f_b.jpg
_ADP5134

This is Boeing territory, mate... Good to see an EK Big Bus. These are common visitors to my neck of the woods as EK has a bilateral with Australia and New Zealand for Trans-Tasman flights into two New Zealand ports.

53216611630_4c00378a55_b.jpg
_ADP5155

Florally decorated China Airlines Big Boy Boeing.

53216494404_bc362b9840_b.jpg
_ADP5169

Dutch Dreamliner.

53216104321_11be2a2ef0_b.jpg
_ADP5170

British Big Boy Boeing.

53216104241_ac7012928e_b.jpg
_ADP5183

Aussie Bus passing a Delta Bus demonstrating Airbus' current fixation for painting masks around the windscreens.

53216494279_f1e2a1f798_b.jpg
_ADP5196

Lucky to catch this beauty taking off. The 747 is still a favourite of so many people.

53215228412_d0212b5ec3_b.jpg
_ADP5198

53216412013_137b2232ed_b.jpg
_ADP5199

53216412003_f21c2a9f7d_b.jpg
_ADP5200

53216411998_3c7c150899_b.jpg
_ADP5201

Finally, my ride to Reno Tahoe.

53216412018_7c1b653188_b.jpg
IMG20230913182233

See y'all at the air races!

Last edited:
My flight to the USA was booked with United Airlines but as a Star Alliance member, UA codeshares with Air New Zealand between Auckland and the United States. I managed to secure a real good deal on flights and accommodation given that hotels in Reno were going to be booked out for the races. I got return flights to the USA, return flights to Reno, and five nights' accommodation for around 1,700 US dollars - 3,000 NZD. That was a bargain, so I took it, despite having to fly cattle class. To alleviate the fact that I'm 6 foot 3, I paid extra for emergency exit seats, which added an extra $300 NZD to the flights, but it was worth it being in the exit row as I had space to stretch out. On the way to LAX I had the row to myself, so I spread my crap out across the seats and made a comfy space for 12 hours!

Firstly, we look at a rather historic aircraft on display at Auckland Airport. This is Percival Gul Six G-ADPR, New Zealand-born aviatrix Jean Batten's aeroplane in which she flew, among others, three standout world record-breaking flights. In this aircraft, Batten flew the first solo southern transatlantic crossing, from Africa to Brazil, setting off from Dakar on 11 November 1935 and reaching Natal 13 and a quarter hours later. Batten had achieved the fastest crossing of the Atlantic by air. The next flight achieved in the Gull Six was a solo flight from England to New Zealand in 1936, achieving an absolute speed record between England and Australia, the feat taking five days and 21 hours. Departing England on 5 October 1936, Batten finally reached New Zealand on 16 October, achieving a record flight of eleven days, 45 minutes, a time between the two countries that remarkably stood for 44 years. A year later, Batten flew the Gull Six back to England from Australia, departing Darwin on 19 October 1937 and reaching Lympne, Kent in five days, 19 hours and 15 minutes. In doing so, Batten held the solo speed record between England and Australia and return - the first person to hold both. Although Batten had flown the fastest time between England and Australia, her return trip was four hours longer than the fastest from Australia to England, achieved by Cathcart-Jones and Waller in the de Havilland Comet Grosvenor House in 1934.

View attachment 738831_ADP5076

Here is a biography of Batten:

During World War Two, G-ADPR was impressed into RAF service as AX866 but returned to civil ownership post-war. In 1961 it went to the Shuttleworth Trust at Old Warden, with whom it returned to flying trim with help from Hunting Aircraft in 1987. In 1990 it was shipped to New Zealand and was put on display in the international terminal at Auckland Airport for the 25th Anniversary of the opening of the airport at Mangere. Somewhat controversially, it was sold in 1995 and went to New Zealand, where it was registered as ZK-DPR, although it retained its historic British registration on its flanks. In 1996, ownership of the aircraft was formally transferred to Auckland Airport Plc and on 4 November it was flown for the last time to mark the sixtieth anniversary of Batten's England to New Zealand flight. Piloting the aircraft was Cherie Marshall, who took off from Mangere but while over the harbour the engine began to run rough. Marshall declared a Mayday and returned to the airport for a safe landing. It soon went on display in the international terminal, originally above the duty-free hall through the security area, but it has since been located above the departures desks in the main entrance where it can be appreciated by everyone visiting the airport. There are peeps in Britain who were a bit sore about it leaving the UK and being displayed in an airport, but too bad, it's ours now! :D

View attachment 738832_ADP5077

Now, it's been a few years since I last passed through LAX, the last time was 2018 and wait times for processing of non-US citizens have improved dramatically. I passed through immigration with ease, the officer was not perturbed at all by my only visiting the USA for six days and let me go without hassle. I was expecting a barrage of questions about why and what for, but he seemed content with my reason for being there - the air races and asked for proof of return flight and accommodation, then asked how much money I had on me, then let me go with a cheery "Welcome to the United States"!

One thing I wanted to get photographs of while at LAX was this rather striking building. This is the blandly named Theme Building (why, exactly?) and is an architectural marvel. Here is some info from Wikipedia, saving me from regurgitating what someone else wrote.

View attachment 738833_ADP5088

Up close, it really does look like the spaceship it was designed to mimic having landed in the LAX car park...

View attachment 738834_ADP5084

View attachment 738835_ADP5080

Since I had a few hours to waste between arriving and catching my flight to Reno Tahoe, I parked myself in the United Club Lounge situated in Terminal 7. This, I discovered, was a great spot to watch aircraft coming and going, so I spent a good couple of hours eating, drinking and photographing airliners! So as not to bore you folks who don't do this as a pass time, which I do, I'll limit the images to a few choice ones of some standout aircraft types. Excuse the blue tinge to the images, they are taken through double glazing.

Firstly, a general view from the lounge of the ramp. This is United country.

View attachment 738836_ADP5093

A MAX.

View attachment 738837_ADP5128

This caught my eye as I was sitting enjoying my bourbon & coke...

View attachment 738838_ADP5112

It's the Goodyear Blimp!

View attachment 738839_ADP5110-2

75s are kewl aircraft. United still has a bunch of them.

View attachment 738840_ADP5134

This is Boeing territory, mate... Good to see an EK Big Bus. These are common visitors to my neck of the woods as EK has a bilateral with Australia and New Zealand for Trans-Tasman flights into two New Zealand ports.

View attachment 738841_ADP5155

Florally decorated China Airlines Big Boy Boeing.

View attachment 738842_ADP5169

Dutch Dreamliner.

View attachment 738843_ADP5170

British Big Boy Boeing.

View attachment 738844_ADP5183

Aussie Bus passing a Delta Bus demonstrating Airbus' current fixation for painting masks around the windscreens.

View attachment 738845_ADP5196

Lucky to catch this beauty taking off. The 747 is still a favourite of so many people.

View attachment 738846_ADP5198

View attachment 738847_ADP5199

View attachment 738848_ADP5200

View attachment 738849_ADP5201

Finally, my ride to Reno Tahoe.

View attachment 738850IMG20230913182233

See y'all at the air races!
Kalitta Air was founded by Connie Kalitta, an early Top Fuel drag racer.

'Morning Reno! Because the media peeps had our briefing at 7 am, we made an effort to get to the races early every day. Our mornings usually began with arrival at Stead at around 6 am, which gave us the opportunity to have a coffee in the RARA hangar before sauntering over to the ramp to see if there was an early morning photo shoot on. This was Thursday's, a couple of Formula 1 racers.

53212634612_4ce3bd6c8c_k.jpg
_ADP5210

53212634617_d7140d38ae_k.jpg
_ADP5213

At the morning briefings we found out the running order for the day and what time busses were leaving for the pylon photographic opportunities. I went on two of these. We also got the opportunity to spend time out on the ramp while aircraft were being moved about before races. Today was an introduction to the site for me, and I spent the entire day getting the lie of the land. The site is big and I overdid it a bit, not stopping for regular breaks as often as I should have. By the end of the day, I was sore all over. First thing, though, a walk around the pits to see people busying themselves with their aircraft before it gets too busy in there. Photo opportunities galore...

"Swamp Fox"

53212634517_799e511cd5_k.jpg
_ADP5215

Race 64 "Plum Crazy", flown by Vicky Benzing.

53213514991_1dd4b2c402_k.jpg
_ADP5218

T-6 chase aircraft.

53213825408_a67ab65cd9_k.jpg
_ADP5220

Race 69 "Eros" flown by Lee Oman.

53213825413_66320c3cde_k.jpg
_ADP5223

Race 5 "Big Red" flown by Joey "Gordo" Sanders has some pedigree.

53213825423_288895dc44_k.jpg
_ADP5227

Race 90 flown by Greg McNeely.

53212634382_954845cab1_k.jpg
_ADP5232

Race 55 "Man O' War" flown by Ken Gottschall, with its impressive tally of swastikas.

53214029490_77cafa3620_k.jpg
_ADP5233

Race 62 "Bunny" flown by Tom Nightingale.

53213825353_13f9769d7f_k.jpg
_ADP5234

This one was one to watch purely out of novelty, Race 63 "Pretty Polly" flown by Patrick Nightingale.

53212634352_02b9411c9f_k.jpg
_ADP5237

"Pretty Polly" being helped out to the ramp.

53212634297_bca3b5f43e_k.jpg
_ADP5240

Race 924 flown by Dennis Sanders is a Bristol Centaurus-powered Fury. There were two others...

53214029430_a28603d48a_b.jpg
_ADP5243

...Including Race 8 "Dreadnought" Flown by Joel Swager. Note the big cowl housing a 4360.

53213905384_97dd95969b_b.jpg
_ADP5244

Race 114 "Argonaut" flown by Mark Watt and powered by a 2800.

53213825198_6f30ed96dc_b.jpg
_ADP5253

One of the surprises for me was seeing this guy, Race 43, "51" flown by Steven Coutches.

53213825268_13b4530363_b.jpg
_ADP5251

One of the stars of the races, the much celebrated "Thunderbird" formerly owned by Jimmy Stewart.

53213514701_07a0239d2f_b.jpg
_ADP5255

Before the races even began, everyone was picking Race 3 "Bardahl Special" flown by Steve Hinton Jr to take Gold.

53213514726_502490ffa1_b.jpg
_ADP5256

In the absence of "Rare Bear", which couldn't make it, this guy was waiting in the wings. I got a good look at her out on the ramp. What a beauty.

53214029260_b9e74e9918_b.jpg
_ADP5258

Finally for now, the Bonanza posing in front of the iconic finish line pylon. This guy is famous for his aerobatic routine. We'll see it soon.

53214029270_a94cd3f3aa_b.jpg
_ADP5268

Next, Heritage Row and some warbird gems.

Great photos! Why the RAAF roundel with NZ serial on the mossie? Was that how it was delivered?

The Mossie is an Aussie-built example; I mention that in the text. "This example is Australian-built T.43 trainer A52-1053 that was transferred to the RNZAF as NZ2305 in 1946."

A quick look at Heritage Row and some rather rare warbirds interspersed with some novel additions. First up, just so we don't forget where we are...

53216643698_312ec7d3cf_b.jpg
_ADP5273

Now, this Beastie. This is P4Y-2G Privateer 6302, now N2871G, with its gun emplacements replaced with big glazed windows for obvious reasons. As the only flying Privateer, it was definitely one of the stars of the static displays.

53216334886_0546f385ca_b.jpg
_ADP5269-2

The US Coast Guard operated a total of eleven unarmed Privateers between 1945 and 1958, when the last were sold as surplus to requirements. Originally purchased in support of Coast Guard LORAN stations, the PB4Y-2Gs, later losing the "B" in the designation as they were no longer bombers, were based at NAS Kaneohe Hawai'i, but moved to NAS Barber's Point once the navy left the former. Serving in the long-range coastal patrol role, the aircraft were also based in San Francisco and San Diego on the Pacific coast. A number of the ex-Coast Guard P4Y-2Gs, including this one, served as fire bombers and sadly one was lost in 2002, which saw the type grounded in the role.

53216842015_eca68554f7_b.jpg
_ADP5277

Shiny and pretty Globe Swift.

53216842045_e5db46ea5c_b.jpg
_ADP5271

Immaculate Bonanza.

53216334851_4ca745a634_b.jpg
_ADP5274

How kewl is this! The last flying Harpoon, PV-2D 84062 N6657D was flown to Stead by 101-year-old wartime PV-2 pilot Pat Pattesen. We'll see more of the Harpoon in a later post.

53216334841_6640cfec02_b.jpg
_ADP5282

"Bonnie" the P-47 certainly caught my eye...

53215457482_4d79741ca2_b.jpg
_ADP5285

This is immaculately presented P-47D-23RA Thunderbolt 42-27609, which was flown by Maj William 'Bill' Dunham of the 460th Fighter Squadron, 348th Fighter Group in the Southwest Pacific theatre and was named after his wife. Recovered from Papua New Guinea by famed aircraft wreck hunter Charles 'Bunny' Darby - Darby was instrumental in airframe recovery and presentation at MoTaT in New Zealand, the aircraft was restored to flying condition by AirCorps Aviation and is beautifully decorated in Dunham's markings as it was during the war.

53216334806_c004ea4d42_b.jpg
_ADP5287

A surprise and welcome addition to the predominantly US lineup, a Fairey Firefly! This particular aircraft, Firefly AS.6 WB518 served with the Royal Australian Navy aboard the aircraft carrier HMAS Sydney. Following RAN service where it operated as a target tug for awhile, it was unceremoniously stuck up a pole in Griffith, NSW, where it languished for 25 years before it was taken down and sent to the USA for restoration to flying condition.

53216723159_07302c6625_b.jpg
_ADP5702

Immaculately presented Stinson L-5 in Air Force Rescue colours to match the Privateer.

53216841940_305a81443a_b.jpg
_ADP5288

Cessna O-2A "Nine Lives My Ass" got a lot of attention from onlookers given its exquisite name and nose art.

53216723249_154f5d9e91_b.jpg
_ADP5289

O-2A Super Skymaster 68-11108 is a genuine warbird, having served with the 20th Tactical Air Support Squadron at Da Nang, South Vietnam in 1969.

53216841900_faedf8df8e_b.jpg
_ADP5290

Spotless Ryan Navion.

53216643623_ff73d3b68e_b.jpg
_ADP5430

Meyers 200B N34393, a type I had never heard of before.

53215457357_b209b9157c_b.jpg
_ADP5431

Stunning Stinson Reliant.

53216723169_7319edb6a3_b.jpg
_ADP5432

SR-9F Reliant NC18425 first flew in 1937.

53216723364_92d4fb0d14_b.jpg
_ADP5272

"I wants it..." Grumman Albatross N51ZD came all the way from Jacksonville, FLA.

53216334731_1a5ccb559a_b.jpg
_ADP5433

Lastly for now, the nose art of TB-25N Mitchell 43-28204 "Pacific Princess". We'll be back to get a closer look at this bird in a future addition.

53215457497_f4dbfe2e19_b.jpg
_ADP5276

I'll be returning to Heritage Row to get closer to some of the aircraft seen here and to photograph more arrivals. Next, modern military hardware and guns that go BRRRRT...!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back