Obituaries

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From the National WWII Museum:

We are saddened to hear of the passing of the last surviving Doolittle Raider, Colonel Richard Cole at 103. Hear COL Cole's incredible story of bravery and heroism in this interview with Gary Sinise at the The National WWII Museum. #MemDayPBS

I loved the book and movie Thirty Seconds over Tokyo and because of that, as well as because the Doolittle Raiders were collected for the mission at my home town, Columbia SC, I have always felt a connection to them. That connection grew stronger when I was stunned to find out that my high school math and mechanical drawing teacher, Lt Col H. E. Crouch, was the Bomb/Nav on Plane No.10.

Last edited:
Years ago I jumped into N4521U at Livermore CA, a 150D Cessna, picked up a friend at the San Jose AP
and flew off to Modesto to a Raiders reunion. Many of them were there, had to be around 1993.
Had a great time, attended the lunch and listened to tales. Doolittle was not there that year.
The fruits of my trip were the John Shaw print, as well as one done by one of the Riders, see attached below.
Each had been signed by Some of the Raiders, I made the rounds and had the rest present sign as well, no one else did this.
I later purchased a signed copy of Thirty seconds, includes a photo of the former General.
The best little flight I have experienced. A great day.
May all the raiders RIP. True volunteer heroes.

****These are hanging on my walls now, have for years.

Last edited:
When I moved to my present home in 1993 I found out that my next door neighbor, Willard Smith, had flown B-25's in the Med in WWII. His squadron commander was Ted W. Lawson's co-pilot, Dean Davenport.

Davenport told Willard that the real Doolittle Raiders were used as extras in the movie "A Guy Named Joe" which, like "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" starred Van Johnson and Spencer Tracy.

Users who are viewing this thread